Instruction

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Instruction

Postby Borg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:46 am

Hey all,

My name is Ian, I've been dabbling in climbing for a bit, mostly at GZ and the Rock Court and I'm looking to make the transition to outside. Now I know CNS has a top rope shindig this weekend, but its not an instructional weekend and that's what I'm looking for.

Are there any instructors either here in NS or maybe in NB who would be able to provide that kind of instruction? Or will I have to hold out until I find myself further west to take a course?

Thanks for any help

Cheers,

Ian
Borg

Re: Instruction

Postby Baxterminator » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:21 pm

rotary thursday, 5:45 pm. Go bouldering
Baxterminator

Postby stoneseeker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Except Borg is expressing an interest in learning safe sport climbing practice and rope skills he didn't mention anything about bouldering...

If bouldering is not of interest to you, then I really recommend you do go to the top rope shindigs that CNS puts on. You'll be able to participate in the outdoor scene within a safe environment of people who are experienced and you'll probably learn a lot while your there, and hopefully you'll meet some people/make some friends who can point you in the right direction to take a ropes course or similar. I'm not sure if there is a course offered anymore these days, but there are many experienced and friendly people climbing ropes around here that I'm sure would love to share their knowledge. CNS top roping day at Sorrows is a perfect place to meet those people!
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby seanT » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:55 am

We do private lessons at GZ and those lesson can include such things as basic Top rope anchor setups and a variety of other things.Rappelling, Jumaring, lead climbing.
Sean
seanT

Postby Baxterminator » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 am

stoneseeker wrote:Except Borg is expressing an interest in learning safe sport climbing practice and rope skills he didn't mention anything about bouldering...
people!

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess am speaking from the point of view of a humble ignorant boulderer that has never been on a rope outdoors.
Although, one could argue that getting out on real rock, meeting local climbers, and seeing some local spots is a good first step in transitioning from the gym. In addition you get a chance to meet some of the many experienced rope climbers out bouldering on thursday nights. Oh yeah, it's really fun too.
Baxterminator

Postby Borg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks all for the options.

@ Baxterminator - I'm picking up what you're putting down, lots of bouldering to be had here, and I do enjoy the small amount of bouldering I've done, but I also like the height you get with roped climbing. I'll probably come out for a night or two.

@ Stoneseeker - Registered for the top rope day, so I'll be there, the weather should be great and I'll definitely learn a thing or two.

@ SeanT - I knew GZ offered the lead course, but anchors etc would be good, I'll definitely keep it in mind, thanks.

Ian
Borg

Postby Borg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:20 am

Well, the Top Rope day was fantastic, great people, good weather, little to no bugs.

@ SeanT - How much would I be looking at for the course on anchors, ascending, and rappelling?
Borg

Postby miles » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey Ian,

Depending on what Sean says, myself and my partner would like to join you when you go to GZ for the instructional portion. It may make it more worth Sean's time if a larger group meets up at the same time.

-- Miles
miles

Postby Borg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:09 am

Hey Miles,

I called GZ last night and its 50$ for two hours, and the course material is basically what we decide we want to learn. What times would work for you? Then I guess we can call GZ and see when they can set something up?
Borg

Postby miles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:53 am

Nice, well, we're available on the weekends of July 13, 20, and 27th. I know it doesn't give you a lot to go off of so don't feel like you have to do it with us (your plans are probably different than ours anyway). I think the most difficult thing might be getting a time at GZ where there isn't a Bday party going on.

-- Miles
miles

Postby Borg » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey Miles,

unfortunately weekends don't really work for me, but I've booked for 6:30 on Monday the 8th. If that works for you I'm sure GZ wouldn't mind penciling you in. If not, after you've done the course we could head outside practice a bit if that would work with you.
Let me know

Cheers,

Ian
Borg

Return to Nova Scotia