Bouldering in NS.

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Bouldering in NS.

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:48 am

I was checking out the ns.bouldering.ca or whatever the site is, and checked out the "classics" list..

I once again noted that there seem to be more problems than any other location I have ever been in my life, pretty much.. Though I haven't been to Hueco or Font... Insanity.

Definitely need to start making some visits there...
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby tracstarr » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:53 am

yep, there's a hell of a lot of problems out here. There's got to be at least 500 or more established problems. Zig, the webmaster of that site, is currently working on a guide book for all the areas. I'm sure not everytihng will be in it as there is just tooooooooooo much, but most will. Best part is there are problems for everyone, and lots more still to be set. Everytime i turn around zig has another v9+ line set, it's awesome.
tracstarr

Postby dcentral » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:38 pm

I miss all the bouldering, since there is none here.
dcentral

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:05 pm

I too miss all the bouldering. I may live close to the Niagara Glen, but the polished limestone there just isn't the same :(
granite_grrl

Postby zig » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:26 pm

The guide is coming together slowly but surely. It's exciting to see all this info coming together with topos, photos, etc. I'm going to include most of the stuff out there. Looks around 600+ lines in the guide. Not bad.
zig

Postby dcentral » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:37 pm

That sounds awsome. Can't wait to see that.
dcentral

Postby tracstarr » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:26 am

zig, is it just bouldering? or does it include that rope stuff some people use?
tracstarr

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:55 am

tracstarr wrote:zig, is it just bouldering? or does it include that rope stuff some people use?

I'd think that Sean C's guide covers routes quite well, I wouldn't see the need to toss it into another book.
granite_grrl

Midnight flame.

Postby mitchleblanc » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:53 am

granite_grrl wrote:I'd think that Sean C's guide covers routes quite well, I wouldn't see the need to toss it into another book.

I haven't seen Sean's guide, and this comment doesn't relate to it at all:

Having an existing guide, no matter how good it is, doesn't preclude someone from writing a newer, better and more updated one, and certainly doesn't imply that the next guidebook author (and certainly not Zig) is going to "toss" anything "into another book".

That kind of reasoning is a good cause for nothing evolving and developing.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

New Undeveloped area's

Postby Zamboni » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:21 am

Zig,

If there is an area that isn't developed yet, but cold be very easily. How much time left do we have to get it added into the book?

CB.
Zamboni

Re: Midnight flame.

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:51 am

mitchleblanc wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:I'd think that Sean C's guide covers routes quite well, I wouldn't see the need to toss it into another book.

I haven't seen Sean's guide, and this comment doesn't relate to it at all:

Having an existing guide, no matter how good it is, doesn't preclude someone from writing a newer, better and more updated one, and certainly doesn't imply that the next guidebook author (and certainly not Zig) is going to "toss" anything "into another book".

That kind of reasoning is a good cause for nothing evolving and developing.

Guide book writing doesn't develope routes. A guide book is a service to the community, routes, ethics and the like will still evolve and develope without one (heck, look how long NS went before Cassidy put out his and Zig started putting together the bouldering one).

I think that I am valid in saying that there is no need to have this info in another book, and I was not saying that someone shouldn't do up a new guide if they feel thay can come out with a "newer, better and more updated one". But Cassidy's guide is not yet outdated, it is not poorly done. New routes have been listed on Cassidy's website.

There is plenty of bouldering that a bouldering guide for NS will stand alone quite nicely, and I'm very excited to see the results.
granite_grrl

Postby The Teth » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:36 pm

I almost never combine bouldering with rope climbing. There would just be too much gear to carry. I even use different shoes for bouldering than I do when trad climbing (unless I am following a crack up a slab). So it makes sense to me to put bouldering and rope routes in separate guidebooks.

If you have not seen Sean’s guide (Nova Scotia Rock) you should really get a copy. It includes almost every route in the Province and is as professional a publication as I have seen. There have been some routes put up since it was published, but those have been kept track of. I think it will be a few more years before it will be worth putting together a new addition. I suppose someone could publish a supplement fairly easily as it would not be very big.

The Teth
The Teth

Return to Nova Scotia