Tax Credit for youth

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Tax Credit for youth

Postby The Teth » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:36 pm

FYI: Parents of youth (18 years and under) can claim a tax credit on any fees paid to Climb Nova Scotia after July 1, 2005. I suppose that would apply to the CNS Top Rope course offered in September. If anyone is planing on taking advantage of this tax credit, please let CNS know that you will require a receipt for the course fee. We do not normally create receipts.

Teth Cleveland, President of Climb Nova Scotia
The Teth

Postby dcentral » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:53 pm

I will not be, but that's awsome and good incetive for parents.

Get kids off the couch.
dcentral

Postby mike » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:33 pm

Do you have to be a parent to get the credit?

If not, why doesn't CNS pay for all the kids to come out and play, raise the membership numbers, get bigger grants from the government, and they told 2 friends, and they told 2 friends, etc.

Win, Win situation.

Mike
mike

Postby The Teth » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:30 pm

That is a good idea, although not through this program. (CNS does not pay income tax, so a tax credit would not be worth anything for us.) There is money out there which is (I am told) fairly easy to tap into for this purpose (getting youth involved in spot). We just need someone to take the time to write a grant proposal and organize the program. Any volunteers? I have been trying to recruit someone for this for over a year now.

I would love to take credit for the tax break, but actually Sport Nova Scotia applied for it on behalf of all its member organizations, so it had already happened by the time I heard about it.

I got some good people on the board this year and we are doing well at providing the services CNS has traditionally offered, but we are still stretched a little thin when it comes to taking on new responsibilities. Basically, new programs can only be implemented if someone has agreed to take responsibility for running them.

The Teth

Postby dcentral » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:24 pm

The biggest thing with sports fund is showing how it will affect the most people.

Either as seed money for something that will sustain itself over the years or a one time event that will increase the knowledege base of a lot of people.

If you wanted to just take a bunch of youth out who haven't climbed before I don't know how successful you'd be at get a lot of money.

But maybe getting some harness and shoes to start a club for the boys and girls club or something along those lines might be more successful.

The other advantage you'd have is that CNS has never applied before and they do like to try and spread the money around.

I got about $1200 out of SportsFund a few years ago to bring Canada's Olympic Judo coach to halifax for a weekend seminar.

It's not that hard to apply you just have to show your planned expenses, and really play up how it will effect a lot of people. Whether it actually does in the end is really irrelavent, just as long as you fill out a report at the end and take lots of pictures they are happy.

Those are just my expereinces thought.
dcentral

Postby dcentral » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:04 pm

I still have a copy of the proposal I submitted if you want to have a look at it. Who ever you find to take this on.
dcentral

Postby The Teth » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:06 pm

I just found out that although Sport Nova Scotia signed up all its member sport organizations, Climb Nova Scotia is a recreation organization rather than a sport organization, and Sport Nova Scotia did not sign us up. So since I opened my big mouth and told everyone about the tax incentive, I am now doing the work to sign CNS up for it myself. We qualify for it, I just have to do the paperwork. I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The Teth

Postby The Teth » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:48 am

As stated in my last post, since Sport Nova Scotia did not sign up its Recreation Organizations for this program I signed up Climb Nova Scotia myself. I just got word that our application for the program was accepted.

Teth

Thank you for submitting an application for registration in the Healthy
Living Tax Incentive program. You have met the criteria for
registration, enabling participants to receive the tax credit. Your organization
can be found listed on our website at
http://www.gov.ns.ca/ohp/HealthyLivingIncentive.html under the Eligibility Link.
The Teth

Return to Nova Scotia