Climber @ Acadia University / Wolfville (with a trad rack)

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Climber @ Acadia University / Wolfville (with a trad rack)

Postby jhousser » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:31 am

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to toss up my name and contact info, I'll be looking for some people to join climbing this fall. I'm a student at Acadia, but have been getting into a lot of climbing over the past several summers in BC. With some recent hook-ups, I've been able to filll up my bags with a pretty good trad rack. I'm looking for anyone around wolfville or anywhere that might have room for another climber. Also if anyone can toss me some reccomendations as to ANY places closer to Wolfville that I might be able to explore. I'm not climbing anything huge or very difficult right now, but am really psyched to get right into it, and up for anything!

John
jhousser@gmail.com
jhousser

Update

Postby jhousser » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:11 pm

Hey,
I just got back from spending the summer out in BC, had a big day on the chief the other day. I'm leading about 5.8, 5.9 sport, so also if anyone could recommend some areas for me and my friends with some good routes in the .7-.9/10 range I'd really appreciate it. Also if people have any trips planned where they'd be climbing stuff in that range let me know, I'd love to come out but don't want to be holding people back. Thanks,

John
jhousser

Postby The Mitt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:34 pm

Just look for posts on the group called stoners, your more than welcome any time.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby jhousser » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:34 pm

I have been reading a few of those, but wasn't sure what level the group was at. I'd love to hop in on a few trips though, looking forward to getting out!

John
jhousser

Postby The Mitt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:54 pm

The group is at a very wide range from people who only follow, to 5.7 (me) to 5.10+. We don't really care how well you climb just come out and have fun and don't take the insults seriously. WE ARE THE DIRT BAG CLIMBERS :)

Mitt
recruiting and admissions
The Mitt

Postby jhousser » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:30 pm

Well that sounds perfect, I'll be in the 7s and 8s for a while, looking for fun. I have a few friends who would be in for joining us, just following 7s and 8s though. I'll give you all a shout when I get out (flying out on the 1st with all my toys) and hopefully will be out ASAP ! I would like to take a quick trip to Eagle's Nest to check that out within the next few weeks, does anyone else have any plans?

John
jhousser

Postby jhousser » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:31 pm

From what I've read Main Face sounds good too, but that's a little farther for us from Wolfville.
jhousser

Postby The Mitt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:06 pm

Eagles nest is crap. Generally we hook up somewhere and car pool so you just need to get to Halifax. Baby Steve lives out that way and comes in, maybe you guys could Car pool.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby jhousser » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:45 pm

I'll have to talk to this Steve fellow, though I also have some friends who might be interested in joining us (and one of them has a car :lol: )

I have a few friends who are really interested in getting into climbing, but haven't gotten any gear yet. I've taken them to the gym a few times, but they haven't bought anything yet. Might anyone have any extra harnesses that they could borrow until they get their own?

I have a pretty good trad rack though, and will have that anywhere we go.

Looking forward,

John
jhousser

Postby climberwannabe » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:33 am

Hey Jhouser... I live in Greenwood and try to do as much climbing as possible (which isnt as much as it sounds, but you do what you can).

There is a little crag near me called the Old Mill, it is in the Nova Scotia guide book. It sucks a bit, but its 10 mins from my house, so if you're ever into comming up for a day you can come with Alex (another buddy) and I. We would also like to get down to Trout Cove in Digby, and you are more than welcome. You'll find that most ppl on this forum dont care about what level you climb at... and are willing to sit-belay for hours on end (right Peter/Steve/Mike/Sean???)!!! Anyways drop me a line, Alex and I work a pretty @#*@$*ed up shift but we do what we can.

Steve

Oh, and as far as extra harnesses for your friends we dont have any... but I got lots of 'swiss seat' rope, and know how to tie one!!
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby Zamboni » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:58 pm

Hey,

I was checking out some rock near windsor last winiter, and there's some potential for some Small trad lines, or high ball bouldering on the top of a "mountain" just past ski martock. You guys might want to get out a develop some lines.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.92670 ... &t=h&hl=en

Its located to the bottom left of the above link, just above the number 2000.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby Zamboni » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:00 pm

Ok, just checked that link.. you have to zoom in one more time to see what I'm talking about.

cb.
Zamboni

Postby jhousser » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:36 pm

Steve, I'd love to make a trip down towards Digby at least once.

If you guys are ever passing by wolfville on your way to climb in or around halifax let me know, I'd love to join.

Conan, I'll have to go check that out with a few friends, couldn't quite tell on that map though where I should be going, so will have to get some good directions before we go. If you're ever in the area, or heading back over there, let me know.

Thanks for all the info and help everyone, I'm flying out TOMORROW :D :D :D and really excited to be back out east. Really looking forward to getting onto some rocks there, and would be really psyched to develop some new lines! Hope to meet and see some of you soon!

John
jhousser

Return to Nova Scotia