Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Pics

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:16 pm

how do I add an image to my posts???[/img]
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:45 pm

you need to upload your photo to some other part of the web such as a web host

try x-img.com then let us know when you have uploaded your pics.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:21 pm

[ IMG ] http://www.domain.com/folder/filename.jpg [ / IMG ]

remove the spaces in the tags and this should work for you.

If that's correct, a pic should show up below my typing here:

[img]http://www.climbnb.mine.nu/pic/2005_07_03/th_Sheep.jpg[img]

and this second one should show a small pic and then you should be able to click it to link to the larger version:

[url]http://www.climbnb.mine.nu/pic/2005_07_28/11_Andrew_Spiderman.jpgImage[/url]
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:23 pm

OKay. This should work. make sure you put a slag infront of the img tag at the end.

format without the spaces:

[ img ] http://www.domain.com/folder/filename.jpg [ / img ]

I guess you can make an image a link... oh well.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 pm

This should read "I guess you can't make an image into a link. I wish I had the edit option (hint...)

Andrew wrote:I guess you can make an image a link... oh well.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:25 pm

...and this should read "make sure you put a SLASH in front of the img tag at the end" ... ... edit features... oh they're nice though... :P
Andrew wrote:OKay. This should work. make sure you put a slag infront of the img tag at the end.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby martha » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:26 pm

Whoa andrew...is that spiderman?

What the heck is that piece of gear way over on the left with the long runner? the bolt is right there!!!

you have tons a gear in here..shows that it is G rated.

looks like you missed a piece at the crux that we use though. saves you from that top piece way off right.

you need to get someone to takes pictures from the top of the climbs....

no offence....as much as I like that route, and as much as I think you are a good guy...the ass shot I can do without. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice lead though. btw.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:30 pm

what andrew is showing you works nicely if the image is stored on the web somewhere. Unless you run a server from home (like Andrew) or have the photo uploaded to a webspace (web space provider) or anything of that sort then linking to an image is no use to you. Is the photo you are trying to show us on the web somewhere or is it on your hardrive?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:58 pm

Use http://www.shutterbook.com and upload them there then post a link.

or you could use http://www.photobucket.com if you want to post them here too. Shutterbook doesn't allow hotlinking
dcentral

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:40 pm

no, my pics from welsford are still on my computer. And as I went thru them we didnt get much pics of climbing, as I cant belay and shoot at the same time. Soon though.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Ass Shots

Postby peter » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:12 pm

We need a poll: climber ass shot, or sheep ass shot, which one keeps you up an night, staring at the ceiling?
peter

Postby dcentral » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:28 pm

Also your ISP usually gives you a few megs of storage space. You could also just uplaod them there if you wanted too.
dcentral

Postby mike » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Peter- stick to the French beeches would ya?

http://www.kidsplaythings.cc/cartmedia/ ... 985022.jpg
mike

Re: Ass Shots

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:02 pm

I would just like to share will everyone that I laughed out loud for at least 15 seconds after reading this and remembering the sheep pic i posted there...

Baaahhh!

peter wrote:We need a poll: climber ass shot, or sheep ass shot, which one keeps you up an night, staring at the ceiling?
Andrew

Postby mike » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:03 pm

.....watch out for jealous lovers though.

http://www.churchofcherry.org/images/ha ... 0pussy.jpg
mike

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:07 pm

Cara,

Yes that's spiderman. It's G, i was just a little nervous. The boys really helped me keep on my game, though. Good encouragement and also not wanting to let them down by quitting on the route :)

The piece way to the left... It felt good to put it in. I traversed over and stuck it in and traversed back on route. That was like only my 2nd 5.8 trad, the first being Furn Gully which i've led several times.

Here is a link to the rest of the photos taken while I led "Spiderman 5.8 G-PG trad":

http://www.climbnb.mine.nu/pic/2005_07_28/2005_07_28.html

If I've fixed the page by the time you read this, you should be able to click on the images on that first link for a larger sized pic... off to fix it now...

Andrew
martha wrote:Whoa andrew...is that spiderman?

What the heck is that piece of gear way over on the left with the long runner? the bolt is right there!!!

you have tons a gear in here..shows that it is G rated.

looks like you missed a piece at the crux that we use though. saves you from that top piece way off right.

you need to get someone to takes pictures from the top of the climbs....

no offence....as much as I like that route, and as much as I think you are a good guy...the ass shot I can do without. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice lead though. btw.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:15 pm

PS:

Cara...

Where's that piece just before the crux you are talking about? Do you just mean the bolt or is there a spot to put pro more inline with the route than my 'adventure' to the left?

I wanna lead that again this year so any input would be great.

It was a great lead, though. oh yea it was fun.
Andrew

Postby martha » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:55 pm

after the bolt in a small horitontal/pocket sort of thing there is a cam. or a tricam. Fred could tell you what one exactly..I never remember.

by the way...that piece you put in....way left...it may have felt good....but if you had fallen..instead of just going down and taking some air...you would have slammed into the mr. clean corner.... OUCH!!! think about that next time and just step up and clip the bolt instead!! :P

but yeah, good lead. Now go and do Warm and Sultry. good gear, clean falls. :)

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mike » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:27 am

Spiderman 5.8 G-PG trad

Just a few tips for ya about your formatting, Andrew...

It's not trad due to the bolts- it's mixed. All bolts and it's sport.

You don't need to mention trad in the route description... this is already done with the 5.* designation. Trad is the cleaner style so it goes without saying... mixed or sport does need to be added due to the fact that it is still technical rock but in a less pure style than the 5.* designates.

I'm not sure about this point, but I believe you should select the hardest of the 2 protection grades- the same as the route is graded- by it's crux, rather than giving a range for the protection grade. I think that would be like grading the route 5.6-5.8. I'm not sure on this one though- second opinions required. My guess is that the pro should be graded as G.

Spiderman 5.8 Mixed G -That's how I see things anyway.

Certainly a nice looking lead. Great effort for your second route. As Cara says: watch out for the implications of you gear placements.

Mike
mike

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:39 am

mike wrote: Spiderman 5.8 Mixed G -That's how I see things anyway.

It is. Andrew is complicating things. It's currently rated "R" in the guidebook but being changed to G
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:43 am

green or purple camalot in the pocket just up and left from that sharp pointy small block that looks like it will pop out. 6ft up from the bolt.

I tend to agree with Cara about your piece of gear on the left. Could be dangerous for slaming into Mr Clean. Since it's at the same height almost as the bolt it probably won't help since it's such a long runner. The bolt will catch you first. Trust the bolt. It's good.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Mitt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:45 am

That routes certainly does not look like a G. There looks almost to be ground fall there if you were to fall just before the bolt. The picture may be deceptive, just looks like a killer fall.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:51 am

It's a huge ladder before that bolt and you are only 15ft off the deck. I think if you are ready to lead 5.8 then you shouldn't have any troubles clipping that bolt. I know the "R" rating was given to this route because of the fall potential for clipping that bolt but think of how many other routes that you would die when you are placing pro but overall the route is given a G rating. It's not like you are hanging off razors trying to clip at the crux. Now Montezuma's on the other hand is a different story.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:29 am

Cara,

Thanks for pointing that out about the long runner and slamming into the mr.Clean. I sorta thought about that a bit after I did it, but by then had already placed 3 more pieces of gear. Next time I'll be able to just step up more and clip the bolt. I knew when I put that gear in, it was useless but for some reason it seemed to boost my confidance.
Andrew

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:59 am

Actualy I didn't realise untill after that the piece is at the height of the bolt but slightly below it. I thought you clipped it after the bolt. It was probably ok for protecting you to move up to the bolt since it would have been almost on TR. Then once you clip the bolt, the bolt itself protects you from slamming over to Mr Clean. Nice lead. A bit off route but nice lead regardless. :)
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Mitt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:58 pm

Fred, just to make a suggestion. I would get someone who is just at their limit at 5.8 to climb the route before you change the severity to G. Ask them how they feel on it. I often find people who climb much harder grades like yourself tend to lose objectivity when old fat climbers like me get on those routes and end up turning them into brown points :) A couple of times I have gotton on routes and thought the person who said G was on crack. I believe if there is a possibilty for ground fall then it is at least PG.

Just a suggestion,

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:09 pm

Im just the candidate for that assignment. I'll let you guys know after my 2nd ascent of it.

The Mitt wrote:Fred, just to make a suggestion. I would get someone who is just at their limit at 5.8 to climb the route before you change the severity to G. Ask them how they feel on it. I often find people who climb much harder grades like yourself tend to lose objectivity when old fat climbers like me get on those routes and end up turning them into brown points :) A couple of times I have gotton on routes and thought the person who said G was on crack. I believe if there is a possibilty for ground fall then it is at least PG.

Just a suggestion,

Mitt
Andrew

Postby martha » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:06 pm

The Mitt wrote:Fred, just to make a suggestion. I would get someone who is just at their limit at 5.8 to climb the route before you change the severity to G. Ask them how they feel on it. I often find people who climb much harder grades like yourself tend to lose objectivity when old fat climbers like me get on those routes and end up turning them into brown points :) A couple of times I have gotton on routes and thought the person who said G was on crack. I believe if there is a possibilty for ground fall then it is at least PG.

Just a suggestion,

Mitt

I know a few 5.8 leaders who have done it no prob. Matt Peck..you've done it right? how'd you feel on it?

I think it is well protected (G) and lead trad at that level. But I've also climbed in places like clifton and red rocks where the gear is sparce so maybe have a differen't perspective.

cara

martha

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:45 pm

Mitt,
very true. Perhaps it does feel more secure to me. I always wondered why it was rated "R" but perhaps I just feel comfortable at that spot. I'll check around and see how others have felt at that same spot (clipping bolt)

Martha,
you can't say you feel it's "G" if you haven't lead it. Like Mitt said. It feels much different when you are on the sharp end climbing at your limit of comfort.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:50 am

Then i'll lead it when I get home from minnesota. 4 months preggos and all...cause the protection is fine.

martha

Next

Return to Nova Scotia