Cumberland County Climbing ----New routes

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Cumberland County Climbing ----New routes

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:22 am

Hello everyone.
I am looking for some adventurous folks that would like to help establish some new routes in Parrsboro. I have several particular sites in mind with fairly stable rock that needs to be climbed.
One site, at Clarke Head, has a huge rock 'arch' that is begging to be climbed. Another site would be at the bigger of the Two Islands, just out from this same site, by boat only of course.
I would also enjoy assisting any local endeavors that enhance the sport if anyone has some good ideas.
I can provide HQ digital images if you would like.
If interested, give me a shout. [/img]
Rob

Postby john » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:32 am

I am interested depending on the pics, can you post them or email them?

john bowles
john

Pics here I hope

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:39 pm

Rob

Postby dcentral » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:29 pm

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewima ... ge006a.jpg

have any pictures of cliffs or anything?
dcentral

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:58 pm

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewima ... ge006b.jpg
This is a view from the basalt at low tide of the same formation that you can see in the previous pic. Please forgive the focus but I was about a mile away.
If you look to the bottom left of the cliff, you can clearly see the arch in the pic that dcentral helped post. If you will notice the grey section in the center of this pic and the grey section of cliff, it is a large deposit of gypsum, calcite, marscasite, pyrite, sulfur and other fun sulfides. This is where I spend my time, but it is sketchy climbing, at best, and I have sustained many falls trying to find a better way to scale it.

The arch and the other dark rock just to the left of the 'grey stuff' is quite fun with many pitches for most levels of climber. Although I would venture a guess that someone from the rockies wouldn't be too impressed, but the diversity of rock quality in your average climb keeps you on your toes to ensure that your pro will hold. It isn't very high at Clarke head with a max elevation of only 150' or so, but with the ease of access and the wonderful scenery, it is not a bad way to spend a day. There are many other higher cliffs in the area, and some good ice climbing can be had.

Any questions or comments please don't hesitate.

Rob

Rob

Postby martha » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:23 pm

Does the tide come up over the rocks where you would climb? If so, bolted protection is obviously out of the question.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks kinda chossy to me. Water front rock such as that often is. But more pictures would tell me better.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Tides at Clarke head

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:31 pm

The tides only come up near the base of the chock stone 'arch'. I consider the rock is to be reasonably solid at this area....but...as can be seen from the rockfall at my feet in the closeup...loose rock can be found and caution must be exercised at all times.

There is a public access to this area and can be seen as a diagonal irregularity to the right of the photo at the waters edge. Public access will be there permanently and is only a 20 min. walk at most from the parking area. If you would like specific directions along with instructions on how not to piss off the locals, I can quickly make them available.

Regards,
Rob
Rob

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:35 pm

from what I can see in the photos the rock does not look good at all for climbing. sorry
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to Nova Scotia