fav boulder problem

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

fav boulder problem

Postby Scooter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 pm

Lets start something interesting. list your fav boulder problem and anything interesting about it.
My personal favourite would have to be white trash, v8, dover island
i like the powerful moves while you are almost perfectly horizontal to the ground and then the cool moves coming over the lip. awesome!!
Scooter

Postby johnthegreat » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:47 pm

I would have to say my favorite problem is orangatang, theres something about it that I find alot of fun and how i work on it each time and get a little farther each time.
Climbinb WILL ruin your life!!! :)
johnthegreat

Postby dcentral » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:22 pm

The Matrix in TB woods is pretty cool. Just because you are standing on such small crystals, and the top is never quite close enough.
dcentral

Postby Zamboni » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:37 pm

Id have to say Mona, athought I've never topped it out, I remember the night in which it got its name!

HAHA!
Zamboni

Postby mathieu » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:23 pm

Well seeing that I only bouldered outdoors twice or maybe three times i'd have to say John Doe. Actually that sort of felt like a real route so maybe it qualifies as "favorite unroped route with stacks of matress to fall on" . The Wave is actually my favorite "boulder" problem. Never toped it out but some nice long reaches and the heel hook are definitly favorites.
mathieu

Postby Scooter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:31 am

the matrix is definately a quality route and definatelt deserves some recognition! i remember trying that for my first time and scraping my elbows up beyond recognition!!classic
Scooter

Postby dquinn » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:15 am

I like the slot problem at chebucto! Sure it's V2, but it's damn fun. I've climbed it a million ways from sunday. It is short and sweet with a cool sit start on the rail. There are 3 or 4 good variations, with a killer variation going out to the right strait to the cut out wedge. Stong heel, out to the wedge, match that bitch, stick a finger in the pocket and shoot for the top. Short and sweet.
dquinn

Postby tracstarr » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:47 am

moana is definatly one of my top problems. and i sure do remember how it got it's name ;)

actually, now that I think of it, that day was probably one of the best days out. I think i'd put soiled as one of my fav. v2, but damn never going to do that one again.... hellllllllllllllllllll no.
tracstarr

Postby seanT » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:43 am

The list is endless...but for me 1 of my all time favs is Potted plant expert @ scrappy boulders (V6 sandbag) and I have yet to see 1 single person top it out. Hello calling all hardmen???Its only V6...hehehehehe
seanT

Fav boulder

Postby Fender13 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:09 am

I've only been out bouldering outside three times but I'd have to say Mr.Freeze on Mega Boulder
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Adam Savage, mythbusters.

http://www.freewebs.com/robgrandy
Fender13

Postby Scooter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:15 am

potted plant expert, i tried that like 2 years ago, damn that is hard!
doesn't johnathan graham do it in eastern tide? or is it just todd's editing tricks :?
Scooter

Postby Eager » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:12 am

I've seen a few people send that problem, Jonathan Graham, Simon Robbins. Cool moves top out is really tricky and balancy. There are so many cool problems around Halifax it's hard to pick just one favorite problem. I'd have to say that one my proudest sends was Buckle Up at the Lake boulders in Terence Bay, Zig got the second ascent about a year or so ago. If you've never checked this part of Grover out there are some of the best lines around, Shotgun Willie's is also a super classic up a knife edge arete.
Eager

Postby mike walsh » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:24 am

...just recently i have really taken to Capt. Hook out at corn/bung and i love 111 and commerce on the memorial boulder.
mike walsh

Postby Scooter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:43 pm

my proudest send would have to be community service v9 on dover island
pumpy traverese,bad feet, slopey top-out. i worked the problem for two days and made progress on every try. keith and i tried to make it to the lake boulders in grover but man that spot is tricky to get too. we ended up bushwacking through bushes taller than me and i dont think we ended up finding everything. got on one problem called the hunted?? note to the rest of you: if you are climbing with keith swyer, never let him lead the way!!!
Scooter

Postby Scooter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:44 pm

:lol: just kiddin swyer i love ya
Scooter

Postby cooper » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:09 pm

i would have to say bulldog is my fav problem so far nice moves in the beginning and the top ou seems cool cant wait to send it when i get back out next summer
-ryan
cooper

Postby tracstarr » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:01 pm

man, i'm a good leader.... you've made it back every time so far :)

anyway, yeah man, potted plant is killer. I've done it in parts and that top out i've worked and managed to get. There is a V3 (sandbag) that starts low and goes up the same topout. Man, there are still so many problems I haven't even been to yet! it's nuts! like seriously, so many.

joe boxer is another sweet line. i love the secret beta scooter has on that, makes it seem like a v4/5.
tracstarr

Postby Zamboni » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:48 pm

No Scoot, you were right the first time, Don't ever let keith lead! We usually do get there, but its never on the right trail, and takes 2times longer than norm.
Zamboni

Postby The Teth » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:00 pm

Hard to pick just one. How about I pick one for each grade? Here is a start:

V2 Scoop (Although the slot problem is right next to it and classic as well)
V4 Orangutang
V5 Bop Gun
V6 Bulldog ( Took me three years to get it.)
V9 Tsunami (Haven’t finished it, but loved working it.)
V10 Resurrection (Has everything and it is all hard. I was close to getting it once, but would not have a chance at it now.)

Potted Plant Expert is great, but I like Bulldog a bit better. I like the full on roof of Bulldog, and then there is the fact that I sent it. Never quite got Potted, it is reminiscent of the Ironman Travers in the Buttermilks...you got only one or two good attempts before you are to tired to get it.

Teth
The Teth

Postby dcentral » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:01 pm

You can't really blame him for that look at his other sports. Kite boarding, ahhh just steer towards the beach. Track and field, you just run around in a loop. Not much navigation required in either of those. :D
dcentral

Postby dcentral » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:06 pm

I haven't even tried it, but it terms of location and aesthetics I'd say Exciter is one of the coolest looking problems. I think the whole feature is really cool. Looks like you could just pull the whole thing right off.
dcentral

Postby Scooter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:34 pm

yeah about that secret beta, i can't manage to get it right. i was out there about a month ago and it gave me a run for my money. that was a good day though!
Bulldog- definately number two on my list, love the move coming over the second lip. CORE!
Scooter

Postby ChrisA » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:25 pm

Gotta say, the problem I left unfinished is my favourite so far. The Wave on Dover has got my mind, and it will plague me until the spring when I make it back for boulderfest(hopefully). The heelhook and the rollover to the topout is such a struggle. Can't wait to top out in the spring.

Smoothest problem outside that ive worked, handsdown Orangutan. Seems soo much like a gym problem, I love the big throw from the two small crimps. Ahh....goodtimes.

Can't wait to make it out to White Bhudda this week to see what outdoor Alberta bouldering is like. Ill keep you all posted.
Cheers.
ChrisA

Postby nsagar » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:03 pm

This is one of the best topics I have ever seen posted on this site!

I must say that my fav. problem changes all the time. The one thing I have noticed, is that it is most likely one of the recent ones I have tried that has challenged beyond the level I thought I could climb. There's so many problems like this! Tons of them in NS.

Currently it's the arete behind papa bear at owls house. About 5 sessions of work and counting and still have lots to learn. Last week it was mayzer rakim a new line I found in Stephenville a 15 foot very steep slapy heel hook fest. The week before that ......

stay up!
nsagar

Postby dquinn » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 pm

nsagar wrote:
I must say that my fav. problem changes all the time. The one thing I have noticed, is that it is most likely one of the recent ones I have tried that has challenged beyond the level I thought I could climb.

Cop out! That's like being on a first date and a girl asks you what kind of music you listen too and answering with "everything". Or "what ever is new". Come on, there must be a few that stand out above the rest.
dquinn

Postby Scooter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:16 pm

im the same way. after i finally send that problem thats taken me soo long it becomes my favourite. but after i put all that excitement away it comes down to the moves. for me anyway.
on another note, there is still so many areas i haven;t been to or problems i haven't got on, im hoping to get out alot more this winter. what about climbing areas? what is the best!? my vote: west pennant area (thoughtful spot, hephalump etc..)
Scooter

Postby dquinn » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:20 pm

Scooter wrote:what about climbing areas? what is the best!? my vote: west pennant area (thoughtful spot, hephalump etc..)

Sounds like a good idea for a new thread, keep the hits rolling
dquinn

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:22 pm

dquinn wrote:That's like being on a first date and a girl asks you what kind of music you listen too and answering with "everything". Or "what ever is new".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

b.a.g.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Eager » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:00 pm

Hey Nick,
Heard you were in Newf, Gull Pond is Amazing eh? Did you get to Cornerebrook to see the Asylum?
Eager

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:04 am

My favorites are probably on the roofs left of Holiday. The one V3 that starts on the huge horn and the (unrepeated...) v6 left of that that starts on two triangle shape holds and move left and over the lip. awesome moves the whole way( bump from a deep two finger pocket to an amazing pinch at the lip...)
Nate
Nate

Next

Return to Nova Scotia