FOUND ROCK!

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

FOUND ROCK!

Postby ClimbPEI » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 pm

Incredibly we fuond some rock on PEI! On the north west coast near a small village 9they all are) just off the road (real directions to follow), we found dozens of really solid sandstone (obviously) boulders! Some are severely overhung, and nearly all are a good 12 to 15 feet tall! Seriously, this is the find of a centuruy! I've seen pictures of Heuco, and this stuff looks jusrt as good! I'll post pictures and directions verry soon!
ClimbPEI

the direcitons

Postby ClimbPEI » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:54 pm

OK SO heres how to get there. Drive up the 2 northwest for a while then you get to the 12 that heads northeast, take that then turn left onto the 168 near Foxley River. When the road forks again, take the smaller road to the left then drive about 1 km. When you see a building (TROUT RIVER COTTAGES) park there and you should see a trail heading to the west (left side of road) now take that and walk about 200 m, then you should see a set of boulders through the bush on your right. Walk thru there and youll see even more rock further in. HEre's a map check it out: (I think it will work, works in preview)

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/mqmapgend?MQMapGenRequest=FDR2dmwjDE%3byt29%26FDJnci4Jkqj%2cMMCJ%3aHOEvq%3bwzauzz%3a%29yr2lz1%3a%26%40%24%3a%26%40z%3aqyb%3al4b%3aTD%15JFE%3aHOHQJ%3bwzxl67%3a%29ybxl67%3a%26%40%24%3a%26%40%24x9%40

PIctures to come!!!!!
ClimbPEI

Postby dcentral » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:28 am

That's pretty amazing if there's climbable boulders on the island.

Good find
dcentral

Beware of overhanging sandstone

Postby darrell » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:54 am

Not sure how solid these boulders are. Never seen them. Just remembering the girl who died last year in PEI, when a seemingly solid sandstone ledge crushed her- I believe she had been dirt-biking, and while stopped, decided to stretch out by reaching / pulling on this overhanging ledge. Be carefull if it is overhanging!
darrell

Postby dcentral » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:40 pm

well if its anything like the "sandstone" along the shore line, I wouldn't imagen they are too solid.
dcentral

Return to Prince Edward Island