Any home walls on PEI??

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Any home walls on PEI??

Postby saF » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:49 pm

Are there any home walls on PEI? Is there a climbing community at all (even if there is not any rock to climb or gyms to climb in)?

I think I might be moving to the Charlottetown area soon and am wondering how bad my withdrawls will be! :x Depending on the house I have, I am planning to create my own little wall.

saF
saF

home wallls

Postby shannon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:24 pm

Saf,

I have a traversing wall in my basement, but now it's in my rental place. I intend on moving it to my new home in the spring. It will end up being an outdoor wall, and be vertical, not horizontal. Will go up the side of the house.

There are a few of us here on the island who climb. The more we know about, the cheaper it is to car pool to Welsford, NB and halifax, NS.

Where do you live now? I'min Charlottetown. Do you do any ice?

shannon
shannon

Postby saF » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:23 am

I am currently in Halifax. I figure that I am going to be putting an offer on a house in the next week or so.

The house we are currently working on has a nice garage for me to build a wall in, so I am hoping.

No, I don't ice climb. Haven't tried it at all. I am mostly a boulderer but climb the ropes at Ground Zero sometimes, tope rope or lead. I haven't done any rope climbing outside since I first tried it in 1995 in Welsford.

I figure the more people I find with home walls in and around Charlottetown, to more likely I am to get some climbing done that if I just do it on my ownat home.

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

ice climb

Postby shannon » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm

You should take in an ice climb sunday event before you move away. they are a lot of fun.

I have a garage too, but just no height there unfortunutely.

Yea, I know what you mean about climbing with a buddy. My wall didn't see the action I intended when I put it up. Got lazy. The proverbial exercise bike.

shannon
shannon

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:30 pm

Hey you guys.
My girlfriend Jenn and I are moving to the island this summer, and are both pretty frequent climbers. We'd be in for some welsford car pooling pretty often I'd imagine. We haven't got a place set up yet, but we're probably going to build a little wall wherever we end up in Charlottetown.
Matt
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby mathieu » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:47 pm

Matt, Matt, Matt.... You have to move to a place where there is more climbing not less.

RIGHTEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mathieu

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:28 am

Agreed, that is a major step backwards! bummer... but hey, nice beaches.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby dcentral » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:24 am

I hope they told you about the winters there too.

Cause you might want to reconsider.
dcentral

Postby martha » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:51 am

He's there for love. Not for climbing.

A mans first grave mistake.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby saF » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:12 am

Hey, once I get my own wall built, I would not mind at all geting a few people over to "play".

:? I can already feel the withdrawl shakes starting and I won't be over there for another 2 weeks :oops:

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Postby martha » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:15 am

As nice as PEI is. And it is quite nice. I don't even go there anymore unless for work because there is no climbing. It is simply counterproductive.

Now, if only I could make my work visits there in the summer so I could just get one afternoon of beach!!!

hehehe

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:01 am

The beaches are nice.
dcentral

climbing

Postby shannon » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:07 pm

It sounds like a potential group to go off island on at least a monthly basis.

As for ice climbing, well look at the photo. This was at Orbie Head near north rustico, two years ago. I'm in red, just to show scale.

I think we all came here for either love or work.

So, how many actual or potential climbing walls do we have here? I will be moving mine in April or may, from indoor to outdoors to make it worth top roping. Problem is keeping it weather proof.

shannon B.
shannon

welcome to PEI!

Postby shannon » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:12 pm

Welcome scott and matt. Eager to hear about your climbing exploits.

shannon Burt
shannon

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:12 am

Yeah, it does seem like a step backwards climbing wise, but Im hoping to head west in July, if only for a couple of months. Do a three week climbing road trip on the way accross. And as for a man's first mistake, If ya don't got nothin good to say....
Oh, and Matt.....RIGHTEOUS!!!!!!
Gaddam, I got a wicked urge to pack up and head for the gunks this time of year. Best trip ever....I Still have a date with Hi E.
Matt Peck

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:14 am

Oh yeah, And thanks for the welcome Shannon,
Even though bouldering sucks, You'll have to show us these Hueco lookalikes.
PS< where's the ice in your picture? Jenn and I looked all over for even a thin smear.
Matt Peck

Postby martha » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:22 am

Matt Peck wrote:Yeah, it does seem like a step backwards climbing wise, but Im hoping to head west in July, if only for a couple of months. Do a three week climbing road trip on the way accross. And as for a man's first mistake, If ya don't got nothin good to say....
Oh, and Matt.....RIGHTEOUS!!!!!!
Gaddam, I got a wicked urge to pack up and head for the gunks this time of year. Best trip ever....I Still have a date with Hi E.

Matt, there is a Gunks trip around the long weekend in May...some are staying the whole week.

I too would like to take HIGH E for a little ride. Snakes are bad though this time of year Matt...do you recall?!

martha

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:59 am

That thing was HUGE I have pictures!
Nothing like sharing a ledge with a five foot copperhead to get the adrenaline flowing.
I might be game on going down for a bit, I don't think i can manage the whole week though.
Matt Peck

ice in the photo

Postby shannon » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:12 pm

Matt,

The ice in the photo is at Orbby Head, just up shore from North Rustico, in the national park.

shannon
shannon

By God I've found it!

Postby speed » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:28 pm

I've been dying for the day that I stumbled across a site for this area, I'm in Ch'town, have bouldering wall in my basemant (45º), know of one outdoor place to climb, and know a couple closet climbers over here.
speed

Return to Prince Edward Island