climbing gym?

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

climbing gym?

Postby shannon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:01 pm

What would be the interest in taking the closed YMCA pool in Charlottetown, and setting up a climbing gym? I think it would be a great idea.
shannon

Postby dcentral » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:32 pm

Is it the Y on Prince Street?

When I worked at Beyond Gravity. I talked to several people who were doing studies for school or whatever about setting up a climbing gym in C'town.

I don't know what their final out come was but I personnaly think you'd have a rough go at it. I do not think it would be a sport people over there would take too. They might try it once or twice but that's about it. Most of the people I ever talked to never really seemed to interested in the sport.

Also I think people's willingness to pay for things is lower then in Nova Scotia so you might have a problem coming up with a price that's right for you and low enough for your customers.

I'm not saying can't it be done but it would be a lot of work -- esp. in advertising becuase you'd have to do a lot of public education.
dcentral

climbing gym

Postby shannon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:56 pm

I suppose you have a few good points. There is a fellow named Chris MacDonald who operates a summer outdoor climbing wall, but just on weekends.

I've built a small training surface at my place, but There's nothing like a wall with variety. The old Y has the potential of descent height and the location is central enough for easy acces. But, yes, there needs to be an underlying movement.

Anyway, still looking for fellow climbers here in PEI. They're around here somewhere.

shannon
shannon

Re: climbing gym

Postby mitchleblanc » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:04 pm

shannon wrote:They're around here somewhere.

That kind of blind, untempered optimism will bring you far, my friend. God speed.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby dcentral » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:06 pm

Isn't the wall in Cavendish? They kind of have a built in market there with all tourist activities.

I would have climbed with you if you had a wall in 2001.
dcentral

Postby Ropeguy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:26 am

Where do you climb now?? I will be on the Island in the next week or so,.....
Ropeguy

john

Postby john » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:22 am

There is a wall outside Ripleys Believe It or Not in cavendish; by outside I mean outdoors, I think it was $5 for a climb or $10 for three, it works out to about 75 cents/ft, so for anyone who has ever said I am to short, here is your chance to get best bang for your buck.
john

Re: john

Postby shannon » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:47 pm

I never did go for that one. Pretty pricy. This one was in Donaldson near tracadie. It didn't cost so much as a group rate.

I guess I don't climb here except for when a friend of mine was here last winter who got me into ice climbing. He's now moved to the Yukon. (Lucky buggar!)

I usually car pool with a group to halifax. That group has gone, so I'm looking for new people.

shannon

john wrote:There is a wall outside Ripleys Believe It or Not in cavendish; by outside I mean outdoors, I think it was $5 for a climb or $10 for three, it works out to about 75 cents/ft, so for anyone who has ever said I am to short, here is your chance to get best bang for your buck.
shannon

Return to Prince Edward Island