Banff Festival of Mountain Films

The perfect place to find out who won the last comp, or advertise upcoming events.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Postby martha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:48 am

Here is the film line up guys.

Feb 3rd and 4th at 7pm.

See you all there!

Thursday night Show –Banff Film Fest World Tour

Psicobloc (8 min) - On the island of Mallorca, Klem Loskot and his friends establish spectacular routes on overhanging limestone up to 60 feet or 20 meters high. With no ropes and with the ocean as a crash pad, the climbing is unemcumbered and the falls magnificent.

Weekend Warrior (5 min) - This humorous film depicts the hapless pursuits of a male snowboarder who tries his hardest to cruise the mountain for female companionship.

Daughters of Everest (55 min) AWARD WINNER – Best Film on Climbing In 2000, the first-ever expedition of Sherpa women to climb Everest was organized. This documentary gives a close-up account of the expedition. Although the Sherpa people are legendary for their unmatched skill in mountaineering, Sherpa women are discouraged from climbing Everest, relegated instead to support roles in the climbing industry of Nepal. Told from a woman's perspective rarely seen on Everest ― or off ― this film is both a dramatic, inspiring Everest story and an absorbing portrait of the Sherpa community.

Sinners (23 min) AWARD WINNER – Best Film on Mountain Sport Coupling the wisdom of 100-year-old physicist A.J. Snow with three years of filmmaking in deep, deep British Columbia snow, Nelson filmmaker Bill Heath created a simple work that speaks to his own love of powder. The music, the joy and the beautifully patient photography make us aware of the exquisiteness of the gasping-for–air moments that only come from the deep and the light.

One World (16 min) The latest paddling film from the team that made “Nurpu” and “Wehyakin”, “One World” steps up the adventure as well as the production quality (filmed in HD). The film presents kayak action, athletes, and lifestyles on rivers around the globe. Edited specifically for the World Tour, this special version of “One World” features huge whitewater in China and Uganda.

Trans Andes (15 min) Will Gadd checked out a map of the world and decided that the Andes would be a good place to fly. He called up some friends and it was off to South America; paragliders, poor planning and lots of wind add up to a big adventure.

The Collective (15 min) The Collective is a group of filmmakers, photographers and mountain bikers. By drawing on the experience, expertise and creative energy of every member of the team, the Collective has created a film that portrays the newest cutting-edge images of the freeride mountain-biking progression.

Friday night Show –Banff Film Fest World Tour

Ouray ice (13 min) The highlight of Colorado’s annual Ouray Ice Festival is the challenging mixed (rock and ice) climbing competition. In 2004, of the 26 international competitors, only two make it to the top. This short film captures the breathtaking performances of these two amazing athletes.

Balance of Risk (9 min) Climber Jamie Andrew returns to the rock after a horrific accident on the north face of the Droites in the French Alps which killed his climbing partner.

Alone Across Austrailia (51 min) AWARD WINNER – People’s Choice & Best Film on Mountain Environment: In 2001, climber and adventurer Jon Muir began a 2500-kilometre odyssey to cross Australia from the south coast to the north coast on foot. For 128 days, Jon and his dog, Seraphine, survived entirely off the land, hunting and gathering along the way. Jon was taxed to the limit physically and emotionally. Often close to despair, he drew on his instinct for survival, his deep understanding of the land and his remarkable inner strength.

Soul Purpose ( 14 min) AWARD WINNER – Special Jury Mention Shot entirely on 16mm film, Soul Purpose takes the viewer deep into the minds and abilities of the athletes. With trips to the far-off reaches of the planet including Italy, Alaska and Canada, this film captures the best of big mountain skiing and snowboarding.

Realization ( 21 min) Leading climber Chris Sharma turns his attention in this film to a cliff in Céüse, southern France. The combination of a 5.14c route topped by a bouldering move stymies him time and again. However, if he can send it, the route may rank as the hardest in the world.

Heavy Fork (3 min) This video diary documents an enthusiastic 12-year-old’s bruising attempts to create his own distinctive, unorthodox mountain-biking style.

Chasing the White Demon (28 min) This tale of whitewater exploration follows a group of kayakers and rafters seeking first descents in Colombia, Chile and Argentina. The film features outrageous carnage, a search for whitewater in Colombia, and the new world-record freefall descent for a raft.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby martha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:51 am

Oh yeah,

tickets are 10$ in advance and 12$ at the door.

you can buy them at the Radical Edge or at the climbing wall.

For all you NS'er...don't forget the Annual Winter Comp is on Saturday Feb 5th, so come up for the Friday night showing of Banff, and climb in the comp on Saturday. Lots of places to stay including my place if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Re: Banff Festival of Mountain Films

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:04 am

martha wrote:Alone Across Austrailia (51 min) AWARD WINNER – People’s Choice & Best Film on Mountain Environment: In 2001, climber and adventurer Jon Muir began a 2500-kilometre odyssey to cross Australia from the south coast to the north coast on foot. For 128 days, Jon and his dog, Seraphine, survived entirely off the land, hunting and gathering along the way. Jon was taxed to the limit physically and emotionally. Often close to despair, he drew on his instinct for survival, his deep understanding of the land and his remarkable inner strength.

... what about his dog? Didn't he use his DOG to help him? That counts. It wasn't ALL his "inner strength". I bet his dog hauled the pack. That John Muir, what a quitter. I bet his dog hunted the wallabies too! I hate John Muir! Stupid quitters! Banf Film Festival SUCKS.

Also, why does the description of the movie include the dog's name? Does anyone care what kind of stupid hippy name Quitter Muir came up with for his incredible dog of inner strength? Seraphine? Isn't that the name of the chinese dude in Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions? It is, isn't it? Man, John Muir is SO cool, I'm gonna name my after matrix Reloaded! frig I love John Muir! Banff Film Festival kicks ass!
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby martha » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:05 am

Mitch, I love you baby. You rock.

:D

martha

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:40 pm

I'Ve seen Psicobloc before...that is one of the craziest things I have ever seen. Can't wait to see it on something bigger than my computer monitor!

WOOOT!
Chris

Postby martha » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:34 pm

Yeah, i've seen that one and a few of the others that had been snagged on the net. they will surely be better on the big screen!

martha

Postby The Teth » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:58 pm

For those of you in Halifax, here is some info the Trail Shop emailed me:

Once again our annual presentation in partnership with the Banff Festival of Mountain Films is about to take place. As usual we have an exciting group of films on mountain sport, mountain culture, and mountain life to show. Hopefully you will join us this year. The three hour program begins at 7:00pm in the McInnes Room of the Dalhousie Student Union Building on Tuesday, February 1st. Door prizes will be drawn for at intermission.

Tickets are on sale now at the Trail Shop for $15.00. We sold out prior to the event last year, but if tickets remain they will cost $17.00 at the door. Hope to see you there!
The Teth

Return to Comps and Events