tour de bloc comp on a weekday

The perfect place to find out who won the last comp, or advertise upcoming events.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

tour de bloc comp on a weekday

Postby john » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:22 pm

I found this message on the ns forum and thought it should be placed here for all to comment on, notice the date of the tour de bloc, sunday monday, I don't think this is approprite, since the point of bringing the tour to NB/NS was to promote NB/NS to a wider ranging group of competators and promote NB/NS competition climbing to everone in our provinces. Moving the comp to a sunday/monday (monday evenig) makes travel impossible without one or two days off work. I have cut and paste the post from the NS board and the response I put there.

Second Annual East Coast Regional"

The Rock Court is again hosting the second annual East Coast regional as a part of the Tour de Bloc this month. In addition to the Tour sponsors (MEC, Gripped, Evolve, Teknik, handjam, Jammies, Static Mountain Co.,Sequence, Flashed, Friction, Fors) we have Prana and La Sportiva, Addidas, Pepsi, NHClimb and Dalplex on board. There is a cash prize purse totalling $500.

The points gained through this competition are added together for the Tour de Bloc ranking and your National ranking with registration to the CEC. Last year Juniors and competitiors made it on the Candian National team. Points will also be accumulated for our in house league, the BCC.

This year we have T-shirts and other goodies for registrants.

You register in one of the following categories:
Men's or Women's
Beginner,(V0-V2)
Experienced, (V3-V6)
or Open, (V7 and up)

There is also a Juniors division for Boys and Girls.

Juniors begin climbing at 9 AM on Sunday Nov 28th.
Adults start time is 11 AM.

The top Junior competitors and the top 6 men and women from the Open category move on to a finals on Monday night.

Early registration has begun: $25 or $30 with a Tee.
Late registration starts Nov 19th: $30 or $35 with a Tee

This competition offers something for everyone - food, fun and a ton of awesome problems.

If you have questions feel free to contact Nick or Heather Sagar
494-1935 or hreynold@dal.ca
See you there.

MY POST RESPONSE

I understand dalplex is being used for a christmas fair (or something?) the weekend of the comp, but I think it is unreasonable to expect any out of town climbers to be able to compete on a sunday and a monday (evening?), which, likely will mean an arrival home in the early morning tuesday and probally missing work on all of monday and part of tuesday. I thought the point of bringing tour de bloc to NB/NS was to promote a more competative series format which points could go towards an overall series not just an individual comp, and also promote NB/NS as a viable travel destination for competative climbing. By putting the comp on a sunday, monday regardless of the reason, is taking away the chance for any out of town climbers to compete, not only at the individaul comp but also consequently, the overall atlantic bloc.
john

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:48 pm

ah shisty... I wanted to go to that comp too. Unfortunatly I work 8-5 monday to friday so looks like I'll be missing it. Lucky for you guys though... at least now you have a chance :P

In the past the gyms in Hali have held comps on Sunday nights because it is when they are less busy. Perhaps they could just charge the admittance fee on top of the comp fee to secure income during the event. I'd be ready to do that if it meant I could go to the comp on a Saturday.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby john » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:54 am

you should post on the ns board so the right people will here your suggestion, they don't use this forum yet
john

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:55 pm

I just checked the date for the Nov28 comp and it's on Sunday at 11am. Shouldn't be a problem to compete and drive back the same night. :) See you all there.

more info at

ns.bouldering.ca
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

john

Postby john » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:41 pm

finals are on monday nite at 5pm I think
john

Postby dcentral » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:48 pm

On the Gripped Mag. forum. It lists the dates as Saturday Sunday Nov. 28, and 29. Which is obviously wrong, they must have gotten caught by the cut and paste bug or something.
dcentral

Postby BolderBoy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:00 am

Do the juniors get just 2 hours again?
BolderBoy

Postby dcentral » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:15 pm

That's probably a question you'd probably want to call the Rock Court about.
dcentral

Return to Comps and Events