Maine Climbing GYMs.

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Maine Climbing GYMs.

Postby Pierre » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:40 am

Doing a little shopping trip this weekend with my better half, and was wondering if anyone out there has been to any climbing gyms in Maine?
Pierre

Postby martha » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:45 am

Nope, but there is some stellar climbing there! Clifton, Bar Harbour etc.

Surely you can convince the wife to go to Bar harbour, She can shop..you can climb...it all works out!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:45 am

duno about gyms but check out the climbing shop in downtown Bangor. They'll probably know more.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Pierre » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:49 am

[quote ="martha"]Surely you can convince the wife to go to Bar harbour, She can shop..you can climb...it all works out![/quote]

Unfortunately This trips is about her... It's pay back for all the trips I've taken this fall without her.

Hey Fred what's the name of that climbing store in Bangor?
Pierre

Postby martha » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 am

If this trip is about her, then it is crucial that you go to Freeport, and if you have time, go to Kittery. The best outlet shopping around.

Actually, North Conway NH is only about 1 hour from Freeport and also has amazing outlet shopping of all kinds, (and 3 pretty sweet climbing/outdoor shops too)

One hint....Standing in line for an hour and paying 7$ US is worth the Ben & Jerrys Ice cream! The stand is right next to LLBean in Freeport!

Do it!!!

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:26 pm

Pierre wrote:Hey Fred what's the name of that climbing store in Bangor?

I don't know the address but it's in the main downtown district. If you make it down that way just ask for the outoor shop. I'm sure someone will know what you mean.

There is another shop in Orano. And if you go to Bar Harbour or Elsworth, there is a huge Cadilac Mountain Sports.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby jeremy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:52 pm

There is a good gym in Orono maine, at the Universityof Maine. $10 for a full day of climbing. Its like 20 mins from bangor

jeremy
jeremy

Postby Richard Eh! » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:12 pm

Pierre, if it's "about her" then make it about her and forget about climbing on the trip. ('Course if she's shoppin', well they aint nuthin' wrong wit checkin' out a few shops eh?!!!)
IMHO sacrificing the climbing on this trip will pay big dividends later, especially since you're so near Parlee Brook and four months of great ice climbing!!!
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby martha » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:29 pm

Pierre,

you should ask Richards 'lady friend' if he has ever taken any of his own advice....

hehehe

Richard, I recall you eating some crow a few weeks ago with a 'lost keys incident'....... all about her eh??!

martha

Postby Richard Eh! » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:53 pm

Yeah.... a lotta opportunity to earn big bonus points in the last two weeks 'tho!! :wink: :wink:
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby Pierre » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:14 am

Richard,

She likes to climb indoors... She doesn't want to climb outdoors because she feels it's not safe enough ( I think it's because she's scaried of snakes ).

[quote="Richard Eh!" ]IMHO sacrificing the climbing on this trip will pay big dividends later, especially since you're so near Parlee Brook and four months of great ice climbing!!![/quote]

I haven't yet ventured into the world of ice climbing... It is something I want to do in the future though. Would be pretty wicked to swing those axes!

Pierre
Pierre

Postby martha » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:27 am

Pierre wrote:

She likes to climb indoors... She doesn't want to climb outdoors because she feels it's not safe enough

The set up for a top rope outside is identical to that inside. Especially if the gym you climb at uses bolts or a large beam. The beam is like a big tree..and the bolts are just like the bolts! Maybe your wife maybe would feel more comfortable going out in a group of other couples with experience etc. To see that it is perfectly safe. Maybe she'd enjoy taking an anchor course to see how much we back things up etc. And in my experience, it is always easier to learn from someone other than your spouse. :D less tension that way!!!

Pierre wrote: I haven't yet ventured into the world of ice climbing... It is something I want to do in the future though. Would be pretty wicked to swing those axes!

hahaha just you wait! It is way more addictive than rock climbing! I love it love it love it!!!!!!! You'll have to check out ice school with UNB to give it a go!

martha

Postby Pierre » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:07 am

martha wrote:hahaha just you wait! It is way more addictive than rock climbing! I love it love it love it!!!!!!! You'll have to check out ice school with UNB to give it a go!

Sounds good... would very much enjoy ice shool, If not this year I definitely will next year!

Once the ice climbing season starts, I will definitely drop by Prosser brook to see if ice climbing interests me. ( I'm thinking it will )

I'm sure your right that it's addictive...
Pierre

Postby martha » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:16 am

If the temps stay below freezing at night in the sussex area for the next week, Fred and i will be checking out Parlee Brook next weekend.

WOOOT!!!!!!!!

martha

Postby Pierre » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:36 am

I wrote:Once the ice climbing season starts, I will definitely drop by Prosser brook to see if ice climbing interests me. ( I'm thinking it will )

I have no ideal why I wrote Prosser Brook... was meaning Parlee Brook
Pierre

Return to Gyms / Training