Pain.

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Pain.

Postby mitchleblanc » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:33 am

Hey, I have an injury, but it's weird, so maybe someone has advice, (also I'm bored) so I thought I would post..

You know that line in your palm, near the bottom where the thumb meets the wrist sorta.. uhm.. about middle of your hand, 3/4 of an inch above your wrist. I get this pain like a bruise, right on what feels like a bone in there. Been not climbing *too* hard lately, (I think) so not sure what's going on.. doesn't seem to be getting much better, even after a few days. When I push down on it, it hurts like a sonofabitch. Doesn't seem to bother climbing (unless I mantle on it maybe), but it's annoying as.

Anyway, it's a long shot, but maybe someone has had this before.

Lata.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby Fred » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:37 am

Are you single these days Mitch?

maybe you're gripping it too tight. LOL :D

But on a serious note. I used to get that all the time when I was skateboarding. Falling hands down on palms. It would compress the muscle and hurt like hell. Have you fall on your palms and you might not remember? Takes a while to heal.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mitchleblanc » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:06 pm

Fred wrote:Have you fall on your palms and you might not remember? Takes a while to heal.

Well, I have been spending alot of time on my hands and knees lately....
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

john

Postby john » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:29 am

I am going to venture a guess, since I am sitting here bored, waiting to submit my two week take home mechanics of nuclear radiation exam.

I had a simialr pain, but on the other side or my wrist, towards my elbow and also in my palm. You may have a small bit of scar tissue either attached to your tendon or to the muscle over it, this "nodule" may be oriented towards the inside of your palm so you cannot feel it by pushing on it. The nodule can cause acute (ie twinges) pain in a couple situations, full flexion or full extension. As the wrist is flexed such as in a mantal, all the tissue/tendon/ muscle tightens up against the inside or your wrist/palm (in case of a mantel) and this nodule, as extension occurs presses and runs over a nerve causing anything from discomfort to severe twinging and temporary loss of strength in the hand. For me it happened when the same nodule ran through my enflammed carpel tunnel, there essentially wasn't enough room for the extra bump and it was pinching a nerve.

Ice the area after climbing to take away any swelling and warm up well prior to climbing was the advice I was given. What worked was warming the area and massageing it regularly to break down the scar tissue. This really helped me. Funnily enough, subsequently I noytice many more or the same bumps near my radialus and on my bicepts, further massage preferably from a tall thin blonde with strong fingers cleared my problem up, or did I just spend less time climbing?
john

Postby Bryce » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:48 pm

mitchleblanc wrote:
Fred wrote:Have you fall on your palms and you might not remember? Takes a while to heal.

Well, I have been spending alot of time on my hands and knees lately....

You guys are pathetic.
But it sounds like a squished muscle. I knida did that, but with my entire foot, broke almost every bone, but the wirse part was that the muscles were all compressed, now thats the most pain next to pulling out finger nails.
-Bryce
Bryce

Return to Gyms / Training