getting in shape is hurting my climbing

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

getting in shape is hurting my climbing

Postby martha » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:57 pm

So Fred and I have been skate skiing as much as possible. It is hard as hell on the body. What a great workout. I love it. However, it requires your triceps and lats to be going in full force.

My climbing over the last week or so has been sub par, and my arms feel tired. I can attribute this to the skate skiing.

I think that long term, the skiing will make my climbing better because I'll be in better overall shape, likely slimmer and my triceps will be stronger.

I have to wonder how long this will make my climbing suck. Any thoughts? anyone else have cross training issues with climbing?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby rendog » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:17 am

X-country skiing is for joggers who can't downhill
if you look like your passport photo, then you probably need the vacation
rendog

Postby dcentral » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:58 am

Could be a difference between short twitch and long twictch muscles.

x-country skiing will def. develop long twitch muscles which are used in aerobic activities.
dcentral

Postby Ulysse » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:15 am

If your giving your 100 % in training 3-4 days a week your climbing is going to take a hit. if your climbing lots cut back on the training.

Or are you just being a panzy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ulysse

Postby mitchleblanc » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:07 am

Ulysse wrote:If your giving your 100 % in training 3-4 days a week your climbing is going to take a hit. if your climbing lots cut back on the training.

I reckon he's right. Your problem is you're working the same muscle groups so... why not work different ones? I guess in the end you'll be stronger for it (and triceps don't work during climbing) and your lats will be big and strong. Just don't worry about. Anyway, who gives a flowers if your climbing takes a hit? What, are you scared you won't impressed the boys? It's winter, you're supposed to be training hard! When you actually have projects to work and grades to send, then you can cut back and get more rest!

Keep fit and have fun! I'm Hal Johnson, and this is Joanne McLeod for Body Break!

ps: Start boxing. It is so frigging good, and compliments climbing perfectly.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby martha » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:10 am

Ulysse wrote:If your giving your 100 % in training 3-4 days a week your climbing is going to take a hit. if your climbing lots cut back on the training.

yeah, that could be likely ulysse, I might be a pansy. Though I doubt it...don't you agree? I mean, You are usually the one to say 'I'm tired', 'I don't want to climb anymore', 'This is hard' (imagine whiniest voice possible) :lol: :lol: :lol:

mitchleblanc wrote:What, are you scared you won't impressed the boys? .

Mitch, you already know I climb harder than anyone around. HAHAHAH

Yeah, I'm climbing 3 nights a week or more, plus weekends and then skiing as much as the weather allows. Fred and I are trying to get out at least 3 times a week.

The goal is to be in kick ass shape. as little body fat as healthy, and to have fun doing it all. :)

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:06 pm

My suggestion is to look at what cross-training activities you are doing. I would suggest a Yoga class. The breathing and controlled movement helps promote blood flow to the muscles and that can help improve the recovery time.

just my 2 cents.

chris
Chris

Postby martha » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:50 am

Yeah, I stretch a ton to keep my body limber but I don't do much for yoga/breathing stuff. I just find it hard to make time for it. There are a ton of other things I'd rather do.

martha

Return to Gyms / Training