plywood and pads, money and money i dont have

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

plywood and pads, money and money i dont have

Postby thicks » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:55 pm

I was wondering if there is a specific type of plywood that works best for indoor walls. 3/4'' Spruce with one side finished good enough?

I was also wondering about the general specs/size/cost for the large crash mats in the Fredericton gym?

Third, any good suggestions for light flooring for use all over the floor in a gym. My idea was something along the lines of wrestling matts because they are easy to store (gym space would theoretically be shared, so flooring should be removable.) ideas?

And lastly Metolius suggests costing out plywood for a new gym, and doubling that number for a general idea of total building supply costs. Does that sound reasonalbe to those of you who have already paid off your home climbingwall debts?

thicks
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Re: plywood and pads, money and money i dont have

Postby Fred » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:10 am

thicks wrote:I was wondering if there is a specific type of plywood that works best for indoor walls. 3/4'' Spruce with one side finished good enough?

that's the stuff

thicks wrote:And lastly Metolius suggests costing out plywood for a new gym, and doubling that number for a general idea of total building supply costs. Does that sound reasonalbe to those of you who have already paid off your home climbingwall debts?

That would certainly be conservative for your estimate. Remember, you can return any unused materials. In my experience though, there is a lot less waste than what metolius is suggesting, provided you know what you are doing of couse.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: plywood and pads, money and money i dont have

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:35 am

Our wall is largely made from recycled walls so I don't know how much our total cost would be. Doubling the cost of plywood would get you close, but I think you might come up short depending on how you build it. For phase one and two of our new wall we bought 7 sheets of plywood for about $190. Framing lumber was around $82. Then you still need to buy screws (I think we used 3 boxes at around $15 each) to assemble it and T-nuts. Lee Valley has the cheapest (still heavy duty) T-nuts we could find at $11.50 for 100. We used around 150 per panel, less on the bottom sections where we mainly use screw-on jibs.

Our wall was super easy to build because we were able to use existing framing for the most part to build off of. It was also not very tall and not very steep so we could get away with 2x4's for most of the new framing. I also already had some lumber to recycle into the new wall. The price goes up as you need bigger lumber for steeper, taller walls and if you need to do addional framing to support the wall.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby saF » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:41 am

I spent about $1000 on my home wall. It is about 9 1/2 sheets of plywood with a 35 degree and a 15 degree wall. And I put in a LOT of T-nuts, over 2000 I think, unless I lost a full bag or 2 someplace. And I used thick wood for my structure, 10" & 8" for the sloped walls and roof. I think I went through 4 boxes of screw, too.

You can see some pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/fergusonsa/sets/72157594417655767/

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Postby Stef » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Try going to a carpet store and asking for discarded carpet and underlay for the flooring. They often pull huge amounts of the stuff out of office buildings and are more than happy to give it away free.

Cheers,

S.
Stef

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:17 pm

We got one matress on the yahoo message board for freecycling, we probobly could get more too if I kept a better eye over there.

There seems to be a board for most areas, you should find it pretty quick from a search engine.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:39 pm

granite_grrl wrote:We got one matress on the yahoo message board for freecycling, we probobly could get more too if I kept a better eye over there.

There seems to be a board for most areas, you should find it pretty quick from a search engine.

We also recycled the carpet we ripped out from the rooms upstairs. Most of the floor under our wall has 1-3 layers of carpet pad and 1-2 layers of carpet. Not really easily moveable like you were looking for but if you push the matresses and pads out of the way there is a pretty good sized usable area witha really soft floor. :D
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Zamboni » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 am

The blue gym pads, and the removable floors the wrestlers use are about ten times more expensive than you might think.
Zamboni

Postby martha » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:49 am

The big awesome wrestling mats that we have for the UNB gym for under the big overhang sections came in at about $800. not too bad considering that they last forever and are awesome to land on...but crazy expensive for a home gym.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:03 pm

Booo wrestling mats.

If you are looking for something to put down that's pretty cheap and movable unlike a wrestling mat. Buy some of those puzzle piece foam mats from Home Depot. You could probably stack a couple of layers as well.
dcentral

Postby thicks » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:33 pm

martha wrote:The big awesome wrestling mats that we have for the UNB gym for under the big overhang sections came in at about $800. not too bad considering that they last forever and are awesome to land on...but crazy expensive for a home gym.

Contact?

Thanks for the suggestions, the floor is going to have to be completely removed and replaced anytime the gym is open so carpet and undercarpet foam might not be the most efficient. This may sound like a huge pain but the location has very much to offer in otherways, that more than makes up for this. I guess expensive might be the only trade off.
thanks for the info and all suggestions are still welcome.
thicks
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:50 pm

I think Martha meant to say gymnastic mats not wrestling mats. We are talking the 1.5 foot thick puppies that you can land from 20ft up no problem.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:58 am

Fred wrote:I think Martha meant to say gymnastic mats not wrestling mats. We are talking the 1.5 foot thick puppies that you can land from 20ft up no problem.

Yes, that is what I meant to say!

Tyler... email Bowles. He has the contact info for the pads.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to Gyms / Training