UNB Club Shirts

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

UNB Club Shirts

Postby Charley » Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Attention those creatively inclined and / or blessed with fertile imaginations and descriptive skills!

We are looking to have another set of UNB Rock & Ice Club shirts made up. To that end, we ask for any design ideas that may be floating around in your minds. You may post them here if you'd like (perhaps creating a bit of a scrum for ideas), either in paragraph form with descriptive wordplay, or post an image illustrating your design. Either way you choose if you could also please forward on to me (barthjs@hotmail.com), a copy of your description or your illustration. The UNB Exec needs a copy of it to consider for the final design.

A couple of things to keep in mind, though, that will be a factor in the choice for the shirt design: these shirts will represent the UNB Club, so while tongue-in-cheek humour is appreciated amongst ourselves, it may not come across in the same way with other climbers or in other locales. Also, we have a diverse climbing community with different preferences for style - bouldering, rope climbing, and combinations of. With that being said, the shirt should accurately and positively reflect our club and climbing community. We hope to see lots of ideas and suggestions.
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Re: UNB Club Shirts

Postby martha » Wed May 14, 2008 7:10 am

So then a shirt for Ice Climbing specifically that says

"we like it soft and wet" might not be what the club is looking for? :D :D

Our 'Cam this in your Crack' with the picture of the BD camalot was pretty darn funny... back from when the club focused more on 'real' climbing.. the outdoor kind...

Okay, so are these shirts for general purpose wear or are they going to be for our club members heading to competitions? Cause why would we care what people in other climbing areas think of our shirts? I don't think that should matter. I think the shirt should reflect OUR community.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Charley » Wed May 14, 2008 8:41 pm

Well, there is the possibility for two different shirts.. one along the lines of a 'cam this in your crack', and another more formal top that could be worn to comps and such things. But it depends on what kind of a response / demands we get.
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Postby martha » Wed May 14, 2008 9:29 pm

When I ordered the last t-shirts, we were left with a TON of them. I would reccomend you take orders for sizes and such in advance to having them printed... and then order some extras in the most popular sizes to have on hand. They'll make great prizes for Banff Film fest and comps etc.

Now, where is everyone and their witty humour?

Hmm...

'Trad climbers have big nuts'

'My Girlfriends Rack is bigger than your girlfriends Rack'

'Boulderers like to grab little rocks'...

okay, I know none of those are 'appropriate'...but lets get some creative juices flowing here people.... :)

this one is okay though...

'UNB Pebble Wrastlers'

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Adam » Thu May 15, 2008 7:18 am

climb fast... take lots of chances.
Adam

Postby martha » Thu May 15, 2008 7:47 am

UNB climbers do more crack than you

martha

Postby cory » Tue May 20, 2008 4:24 pm

"Undercling the (often) wet two-finger pocket, and reach for the jug."
cory

Postby martha » Tue May 20, 2008 7:23 pm

Well my all time favorite is....

"Trad climbing is like Anal Sex. Dirty, Uncomfortable and only one of the partners really wants to do it"
:D

Not sure what kind of picture you could draw to go with that.... haha.. Big Bro's anyone?!

martha

Postby Adam » Wed May 21, 2008 7:23 am

'Spread your legs and trust the rubber'
Adam

Postby Murph » Wed May 21, 2008 8:13 am

"I don't have any friends, and my nuts are too small"

"Love a climber, they use protection"

"All climbing gear comes with a lifetime warranty"
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby STeveA » Wed May 21, 2008 8:58 am

"Remember when sex was safe and climbing was dangerous?"
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:33 am

Sorry, I don't have a cool snappy line, just a concept. I'd like to see something that promotes all the climbing forms. Something like "Sport, Trad, Ice... We Do It All!" Maybe a better wordsmither could jazz it up.
Joe

Postby Burley » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 am

Did the shirt idea die?
Burley

Postby martha » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Naw, but they went with boring shirts that just have the logo and name.

Sigh.

Where is everyone's sense of ha ha these days?

martha

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

i guess there was some worry that the public perception of climbers might be affected if we had a vulgar or otherwise slightly inappropriate saying plastered on our backs during bday parties...

i think climbers generally ARE a little off the wall (intended) and so our shirts should represent that.

alas, so much power in the hands of so few lol
Adam

Postby Burley » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:00 pm

I was curious because I recall putting my name on a list for a shirt but have seen nothing. My interest is fading.
Burley

Postby Nihoa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:38 pm

it didnt die, the sign-up sheet never should have went up so early where we had no intention of filling orders until the fall when the full membership is around.

there are 2 designs cara. one being a simple club promo with the logo and the other a chick climbing. but no, no ass humour.

this is hennigars baby, talk with him if you have questions about it
Nihoa

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:41 pm

ass humour ftw
Adam

Postby martha » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:26 am

Our last shirts were sweet. Jones did a great job of the picture and it was funny. funny to climbers and the general public didn't get it.. which is great.. I agree about not having vulgar (or even remotely funny?) shirts for b-day parties, but for just wearing at comps or out in Welsford, they are more fun. I think a shirt though could have been catchy and humorous without being lewd. (even if lewd is more funny.. especially to climbers since we are all a wee bit on the odd side.

Must be a bunch of conservatives on the exec.. you guys voted in Harper didn't you? sheesh.... :lol:

(but I'm not slagging you, cause I know how much work it is! I'm just teasing a bit... at least as much as I got when I was there) ;)

martha

Postby Nihoa » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:01 pm

martha wrote:Our last shirts were sweet. Jones did a great job of the picture and it was funny. funny to climbers and the general public didn't get it.. which is great.. I agree about not having vulgar (or even remotely funny?) shirts for b-day parties, but for just wearing at comps or out in Welsford, they are more fun. I think a shirt though could have been catchy and humorous without being lewd. (even if lewd is more funny.. especially to climbers since we are all a wee bit on the odd side.

Must be a bunch of conservatives on the exec.. you guys voted in Harper didn't you? sheesh.... :lol:

(but I'm not slagging you, cause I know how much work it is! I'm just teasing a bit... at least as much as I got when I was there) ;)

yeah we talked about the popularity of the old shirt and what purpose the new shirt would serve. back when the cam crack shirt came out the club was quite small and the shirt was a shared joke among a small community. for better or worse the club is much bigger nowadays and we have to cater to a larger, more diverse crowd and most annoyingly, put on a mature face to the public. being on the exec can suck cus no matter what you do you get complaints, to appease everyone you end up with something neutral. i can see your point that the shirt comes across a la no xmas tree in xmas politically correct but such are the times.

i agree the shirt could have been catchy and humorous without being lewd but we didnt get any ideas down that lane. read above for a quick refresher on the suggestions we did receive.
Nihoa

Postby Burley » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:36 pm

All Jokes aside... I agree with Mark.

The new shirt design looks good. It is an image a of female on a difficult crack climb.

I'm all for humor, but I think this design gets a more positive point/image across without any verbage (lewd or otherwise). It is a good represenation of what the purpose of club is and should be - promotion and betterment of climbing in New Brunswick. This includes women and children.

So no, references to putting things in cracks doesn't work in opinion. Odd or not, climbers and the club need to continue to demonstrate respect...
Burley

Postby martha » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Nihoa wrote:yeah we talked about the popularity of the old shirt and what purpose the new shirt would serve. back when the cam crack shirt came out the club was quite small and the shirt was a shared joke among a small community. for better or worse the club is much bigger nowadays and we have to cater to a larger, more diverse crowd and most annoyingly, put on a mature face to the public.

It is funny cause the shirt has a trad climber on it.. yet I would say that over 90 % of the club members have never climbed outside.. let alone TRAD climbed. But that being said, I"m glad that the shirt isn't a 'bouldering' or an 'indoor climbing' picture as the clubs original roots are traditional and Welsford is where it is at. ;)

Nihoa wrote:being on the exec can suck cus no matter what you do you get complaints, to appease everyone you end up with something neutral.

Man, you are preaching to the Choir here... I was on the exec for 4 years ! Glad to have passed that torch on to you capable lads and lassies. ;)

martha

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:58 am

Maybe something like "Chalk Whore". I dunno, maybe those words may be a little strong <LOL>.

Next....
Andrew

Postby Adam » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm

umm, the shirts were made months ago lol, but thanks anyway.
Adam

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:58 pm

LOL
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:21 am

Ah, good stuff. What designs and slogans were chosen? I may want to pick one of those up this season.
Andrew

Postby Nihoa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:15 am

somebody might have earned a new nickname
Nihoa

Postby martha » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:46 am

Nihoa wrote:somebody might have earned a new nickname

no way man. The old one is still better. ;)

martha

Return to Gyms / Training