BMI

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

BMI

Postby Adam » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:37 pm

dunno if anyone has seen the discussion on 8a.nu right now about BMI being used to d/q climbers if they're too skinny...

here's a chart to figure out your:

http://www.bodyshapingtips.com/images/BMI-Chart.png

according to this i'm borderline overweight!! damn, i thought all this running was helping :(
Adam

Re: BMI

Postby *Chris* » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:53 pm

:cry: Overweight and boardering Obese :cry:
*Chris*

Postby Burley » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Chis man... you're a husky climbing machine. According to the chart (content moderated).

Can you imagine what I would look like if I weighted 135lbs? According this stuip matrix I'd still be heathly!

And I was overweight before Xmas this year when I was 180, 5'11" and had a 32" waist... I'm not sold.

I have less muscle now and weight 165... now apparently I'm healthy... phew.

BMI has many flaws. It doesn't work well for people what have a more muscle mass than the average Joe. This chart also doesn't account for waist-line which the BMI should.
Burley

Postby martha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:43 pm

This chart also doesn't account for whether you are Male or Female. It puts me at the very bottom end of 'healthy' nearly 'underweight' when I'm at my normal non-pregnant weight.

BMI is used quite commonly but is being disputed more and more often by health professionals.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:41 pm

I've been at the high and low end of what they consider healthy and I would disagree with were they land. I was far from over weight when I was at the high end. And I really don't think it was healthy to be on the low end. Stupid sport climbers. :roll: Right now I'm pretty much in the middle of healthy and most people think I'm pretty skinny.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:52 pm

chossmonkey wrote:I've been at the high and low end of what they consider healthy and I would disagree with were they land. I was far from over weight when I was at the high end. And I really don't think it was healthy to be on the low end. Stupid sport climbers. :roll: Right now I'm pretty much in the middle of healthy and most people think I'm pretty skinny.

Yeah, 6' and at 165 puts you at a 22. 5'8" and 145lbs also puts me at a 22. Seems that you should be on the lower end of the scale and I should be on the higher end. This chart seems kinds screwed up. :|
granite_grrl

Return to Gyms / Training