Climbing Courses??

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Climbing Courses??

Postby Outdoorsmack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:17 pm

So I am fairly new to climbing this past summer and I want to take some courses to get some of the basics under my belt. I have climbed plenty but I know there is stuff I am probable doing wrong and stuff I want to learn.

I was thinking about going to EMS Climbing School in North Conway, New Hampshire this summer to take a few courses.

Does anybody know if there are courses offered in the maritimes? or Canada? What about another school to look into for short courses?

Thanks,
Malcolm
Outdoorsmack
Outdoorsmack

Re: Climbing Courses??

Postby Burley » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Have a look at the below... You should attened... We can work on other skills as well. At the club you'll meet folks that do everything from bouldering to aid climbing...

Introduction to Rock Climbing
Want to climb outside? This is where you start!

Goal:
Our objective is to provide a foundation of skills and knowledge that will enable our members to safely and competently step into the world of outdoor roped rock climbing and top rope safely.

Where:
UNB Rock and Ice Club
Lower Level, Lady Beaverbrook Gym on the UNB Campus

When:
Sunday, February 15th, 2008, 9am to 4pm

How Much:
No charge for monitors
$25 for UNB Rock and Ice Club members
$25 for Non- members plus a $50 annual membership to the UNB Rock and Ice Club that gives you access to the facility Sun-Fri 6pm to 9pm.
Payment can be made at the beginning of the fist session via cash or cheque made payable to the UNB Rock and Ice Club.
All proceeds go to the UNB Rock and Ice Club and are used for betterment of climbing in New Brunswick.

To Register:
Contact Erick via phone at 506-449-2460 (please leave a message with your contact info including full name and phone number) or email burley.erick@sunbury.ca (include full name and phone number). Anyone under 18 must have a waiver signed by their guardian.

Outline:

Section One – 9am to 12pm - This section is will teach skills to allow the student to understand how to safely identify and use basic climbing equipment, belay, top rope safely, and tie knots.

Section Two – 12pm to 4pm - You will learn rappelling methods and backup-up systems as well as anchor systems appropriate for top roping.
Burley

Postby Burley » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm

And you probably need to get off PEI.
Burley

Postby *Chris* » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:41 pm

The UNB Rock & Ice club will be offering a safety course next weekend at our gym in Fredericton. Material will be basic anchor construction, basic belaying, and rapelling. The course description is in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5089

The club also plans on conducting 2 outdoor rock schools this year; one in the spring and another in the fall. Both will be weekend-long courses in Welsford. Details will be posted in this forum when the time draws near. For the general idea you can read about rock school in previous years:
http://www.unbf.ca/clubs/climb/rock.html
*Chris*

Return to Gyms / Training