Buying Bolts for Climbing Holds???

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Buying Bolts for Climbing Holds???

Postby Baxterminator » Tue May 11, 2010 9:44 am

Hi there, I'm in the middle of construction of an outdoor bouldering wall in my back yard. I blew the 5 year layer of dust off my box of holds and realized I have no bolts!

Does anyone know when I could buy 3/8" allen bolts? I'd prefer to buy them locally in the Halifax area.

Also, anyone have tips on water resistance?
I'm planning on putting anti sieze compound on the bolts and tarping the back side of the wall (the structure will have a roof as well for top-outs). But I don't want to break out the hacksaw at the end of the season.

Thanks!
Baxterminator

Re: Buying Bolts for Climbing Holds???

Postby *Chris* » Tue May 11, 2010 10:12 am

The UNB Rock and Ice club buys bolts at Fastenal. They have a Halifax location. I usually bring in an example for the guy to match up. Good luck with the waterproofing, I can't help with that.
*Chris*

Postby chossmonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Looking up "Fasteners" in the yellow pages may lead you to a few more companies. While you have them on the phone you could also do a little price shopping.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Baxterminator » Wed May 12, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the tips, an important note was that they had to be zinc plated for outdoor use. I ended up going to Fastenal, they had all the goods.
Baxterminator

Postby Stacey » Wed May 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Not sure if you are interested or need more holds... but in the process of tearing down the basement wall - - and have about 250+ holds (98% Metolius from MEC), tons of T-nuts...and even want to get rid of the plywood we used...

PM me if you are interested...I'm in Moncton

Stacey
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Return to Gyms / Training