Community Access To UNB Rock & Ice

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Community Access To UNB Rock & Ice

Postby UNB Rock & Ice Club » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:47 am

Yesterday, the club executive received word that UNB Campus Recreation would be implementing a series of new policies and fees that will impact how community members will access our climbing facility.

For direct information, you can read the policy HERE and view the fee schedule HERE.

In brief:
*All non-students will now be required to register with Campus Rec. in order to partake in any sport-club related activities
*In addition to fees paid to the club, UNB Campus Rec. will charge an additional $50/term (or $100/year) to access the building
*A daily drop-in rate of $10 is available to access the building, again in addition to whatever the climbing club charges
*UNB is unwilling to make concessions to waive the new fee for volunteers who dedicate their time to running the climbing club.
*UNB intends to install a controlled access point at the front door of the L.B. Gym to enforce this new policy.
*The date this is to take effective is Sept. 1st, 2011... although we've been told it will be delayed until later in September.

These new fees will not give community members any benefits other than to simply maintain the right to enter the L.B. gym as they always have.

Although it appears to us as if these changes are a certainty; the club nevertheless outlined their concerns to the University. In recent years, almost 1/2 of our club's volunteers have been members of the general Fredericton community. They give up their time to keep the wall open nightly, they run Rock / Ice schools, and they make possible our competitions. Providing a disincentive to these volunteers will no doubt impact the opportunities available to students who want to enjoy climbing. This policy will unfortunately hurt those who it intends to help.

It's our hope that the members of the general community who have made the club what it is will continue to do so. Please understand that the climbing club opposes this change. We certainly hope to see you all back for another year. Cheers.

Chris Norfolk
President - UNB Rock & Ice
Built By Climbers... For Climbers
UNB Rock & Ice Club

Re: Community Access To UNB Rock & Ice

Postby Stacey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm

This is too bad, but {I'm trying to stay positive}, we are lucky to still to have access to the location, and availablity of the gym, for what will be $150 a year (with club fees and gym fees). If you compare this to the daily fees, etc to the Rock Court (and other gyms), we are still pretty well off.

Thanks so much to the executive and volunteers. Though I'm sure it was a great pleasure for volunteers to get their club fees waved, I bet for most of them, that wasn't the reason they volunteered (just like people who volunteer for other things - they do it because they enjoy it, they want to have the gym open for their peers, and they want to do the community service).

It's been wonderful that for 30 years, we have not had to pay to have access to the Gym. The economy is changing, the university is trying to pay for a new gym...but thankfully we still have our spot!

Thanks UNB R&I...for all you do!
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Scooter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Do you think this is because:

1) The University is seeing Rock and Ice as a profitable club and therefore is solely interested in its profits
2) Liability & Insurance reasons with the University

I can see both playing a role. I am generally curious because we have had numerous problems with our local University wall and have never been able to pin-point exactly why.

I think this sucks. I would hate to see UNB Rock and Ice fall victim to policital dominance such as the scenario with Rock Court and Dalplex.

Kudos to UNB exec, members and affiliates for their tremendous efforts - past, present and future.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Brian! » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:43 am

The issue is definitely liability, insurance, and risk management. The rumor one of the boss dudes at the gym took a risk management course and all the weird changes happened directly after. If the rock climbing club was to be started up today, then I believe it would get immediately denied.

The club is also required to pay the people that monitor the children's private bookings and I'm pretty sure it's to protect UNB. I imagine (purely speculation) that if someone got hurt and a club volunteer was at fault, then UNB would have to foot the bill. If a UNB employee is at fault, then I suspect that their insurance would cover it. It's the only reason I can think of for this odd "start paying the volunteers" change.

The $100 access fee to the building has been added to all student's tuition and is a money grab to pay for the extremely expensive new Curry Center. This fee goes for anyone using the gyms and I believe is not designed to rake in the cash from the climbing community specifically. Personally I have a hard time finding something to complain about, here. The Curry Center is good for UNB and since the climbing club is on UNB property it's only fair that people using the facility pay their share along side the students.

It does sadden me to know that the extra $100 fee (if ever enforced) will motivate people not to climb, but even if it costs me $200 a year to use this climbing gym- it's still far cheaper than any private climbing gym in existence. The quality of climbing that these two old squash courts offer is very high and I think we have been exceedingly spoiled for our nearly free climbing gym we've all enjoyed over the years.
Brian!

Postby Fred » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 am

Brian! wrote:The Curry Center is good for UNB.

Please explain that one.

All I see is a big overpriced gym for V-reds that could serve as bunker during war time given it's built quazi underground which was a bone head waste of millions of dollars.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Holly Reid » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:44 am

Fred wrote:
Brian! wrote:The Curry Center is good for UNB.

Please explain that one.

I second that.
Holly Reid

Postby Holly Reid » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:48 am

Fred's statement I mean. I'd love to know how the Curry Centre is good for UNB students and community?. All I see is more fees for everyone to pay and as far as I can tell, no benefit to those not on a varsity team.
Holly Reid

Postby Leehammer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Brian! wrote:The club is also required to pay the people that monitor the children's private bookings and I'm pretty sure it's to protect UNB. I imagine (purely speculation) that if someone got hurt and a club volunteer was at fault, then UNB would have to foot the bill. If a UNB employee is at fault, then I suspect that their insurance would cover it. It's the only reason I can think of for this odd "start paying the volunteers" change.

This turned out to be false. It came out in a meeting last summer than any club volunteer would be covered exactly the same as any university employee. On this issue we were misled.

From a liability standpoint, the issue is showing due diligence.
Leehammer

Postby Dom » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:29 pm

where do I pay the 100$ at the LB gym? It seems the crackdown has started...
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Dom » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Dom wrote:where do I pay the 100$ at the LB gym? It seems the crackdown has started...

Let me rephrase that: Where do I pay the 100$? Is it a the LB gym or at the currie center? I find it's BS but wathever I wanna climb!
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Adam » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Dom wrote:
Dom wrote:where do I pay the 100$ at the LB gym? It seems the crackdown has started...

Let me rephrase that: Where do I pay the 100$? Is it a the LB gym or at the currie center? I find it's BS but wathever I wanna climb!

currie center. bottom floor.
Adam

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Club should move
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 pm

I take this back, I was upset when I wrote it.

Andrew wrote:Club should move
Andrew

Return to Gyms / Training