Nothing to do with Ice Gear

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Nothing to do with Ice Gear

Postby dcentral » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:10 pm

This thread is all about headlamps

Has anyone tried out the Tikka XP? http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesNews?News=111 It looks pretty cool.

I currently have the tikka plus, which is great for around camp and what not. But I'd like to get something with the option to switch between focused light and amibent light.

What does everyone else use? Tell me pros and cons -- is what you are using too bulky, too heavy, how hard is it to change the batteries?
dcentral

headset lamp

Postby shannon » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:28 pm

I use a petzl MYO 5 belt. I originally had the myo 3 belt version but the wiring in the battery unit broke, so I paid the dif. on a MEC upgrade. Now I have a flashlight that costs nearly $100! I like the belt version for winter activities, but will probably buy a cheap LED thingy for non cold weather use. The batteries on the belt model can be kept warm unlike the regular ones.

My two cents worth.

shannon

We reviewed a black diamond model but I don't think it fits your description.

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?cat= ... al=3126*ev
shannon

Postby PaulB » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:42 pm

I bought a Tikka XP and used it on a weekend camping trip. It was plenty bright, and the diffusion lens was neat, but in the end I decided it wasn't a whole lot more useful than my Tikka, so I returned it. If I didn't already have a Tikka, I would have kept it.

I find that my Tikka is all I need around camp or to follow a good trail, but for obscure approaches, climbing or skiing in the dark, I like to have a real beam of light out in front of me. I'm probably going to get a BD Vectra to replace my Petzl Zoom. Its Xenon bulb is good for serious light emission, while the LEDs will look after the close in work. I always carry my Tikka as a backup.
PaulB

Postby dcentral » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:49 pm

Yeah I do a lot of search and rescue, so we are doing a lot of hiking at night, and all of our rope rescue practices end up being done in the dark especially now so I need to be able to look over a cliff edge etc.

So I'd like to get something that has a strong beam option. So that's interesing what you said about the XP. THere's also the Myo XP which looks like it's a little brighter.
dcentral

Postby dcentral » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:50 pm

Yeah that BD review isn't quite what I need but it is a useful review.
dcentral

Postby martha » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:58 pm

Fred and I both have the original Tikka. We've had them since they came out 4 or 5 years ago and we use them a lot. No problems with batteries in the winter ice season so long as it goes in your pockets when it isn't on your head to keep it warm. And the batteries last forever. We use it for some night climbing too with no issues.

The Tikka XP is great, I've seen it and played with it, but I don't think I'd pay the extra cash. I'd just buy a good Halogen for other use like fast trails or longer/harder night hiking and keep the Tikka on me always.

The Tikka is light, small and with such long lasting batteries, I can go on a two week road trip and never ever worry about it.

mine has a short circuit of some sort so that it flickers sometimes, but it is old, well used in all types of weather including rain/snow so I would never say that this is a con. Just simply old and worn out.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:58 am

Yeah I'll always keep my tikka in my 24 hr pack too.
dcentral

Postby Shawn B » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:48 am

Tikka if fine for general around camp stuff or walking out from climbing on a well know trail. Its benefit is that it is so small and light. And that is if it works reliably. Petzl is not reliable in my book. I have been let down by almost any Petzl light at one point or another. My tikka has a temperamental switch as well. I now use BD in any adventure races or 24 hour rogaines. So if you want something useful and reliable for SAR, I'd suggest BD. I have the Gemeni. Its pretty light as well and has either the xenon bulb or 2 led's at a push of the button. Runs on 3 aa's and you'll need backup batteries if you'll be out all night. Xenon is good when you are travelling in the woods or a faint trail and led is fine for fire roads to save battery. Another one you might want to check out is by Nitehawk. Primarily a bicycle light company, they have a headlamp that uses their new reflector in conjunction with led's. It is very bright and not too heavy and gets very good battery life for the light it produces. Range is probably close to 500ft. They say it is comparable to a 10w halogen light but I don't think it is quite that bright or maybe just 'cause the light is white instead of yellow. It's only drawback is that it can't be focused in and out and it would be way too bright for camp work or reading.
Shawn B

Postby Ropeguy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:11 pm

I have a bd moonlight that works well around camp and seconds as a strobe if you ever needed that option,not a very good distance light.Searched around and finally decided on a Princeton tech Yukon,my fav so far.Takes 3 AA batteries not real heavy,fits over a helmet well and has 2 options for light, 3LED'S for closed up or night hikes and a adjustable xenon bulb for distance that works well up to about 80'.I have had it for 1.5 years and never had any problems with switches,bulbs or liquid entry..used it climbing,biking,and kayaking, its the very best.
Ropeguy

Return to Gear