Petzl Aztars or Trango Mantis

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Petzl Aztars or Trango Mantis

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:07 pm

Looking at getting a used pair of aztars, hopefully for $300, but mgear.com has the mantises for $200 (USD).

I'm realizing that I know very litte about ice tools...please enlighten me!!!

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:35 pm

I don't recommend the Mantis if you plan to climb ice. They don't have any weight in the head and will bounce off like ice tools on concrete.

Last winter we got to try out all the Trango tools. I loved the Madam Hook with leashless handle. NOT the headless Madam Hook. That one doesn't have enough weight on the head and bounces off like the Mantis.

the best leashless tools for vertical ice are IMO
CM Quark Ergo
BD Viper
Trango Madam Hook
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stef » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:09 pm

I've tried the aztars. They are nice tools, but I find them a little light for hard ice. I'd get them as great set of alpine tools. Tool weight is a pretty subjective thing, however, You might find them perfect. I'll second the vipers and quarks, can't go wrong with either.

cheers,

S.
Stef

Postby martha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:13 am

One thing important for you to remember to is that your grip size will be smaller than most since you are female. I've come across tools that are just too big in my hand. :shock: um.. ICE TOOLS.

So check that out also. I agree though, the Mantis is crap on vertical ice as it is just too light. Personally, I find that although I have a good swing (finally after years) I still need the head weight to get solid placements as I just don't have the same upper body strength as the guys. You may find the same thing.

I personally love the Quarks.

Your best bet, get boots/crampons and then go out with people who have tools and find out what suits you.

The Simond Najas are decent tools with good head weight and a small grip. I don't personally like the swing of them, but many women do.

hope this helps.

Cara
Last edited by martha on Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:40 am

the Najas are killer to remove from the ice. There are so many better tools these days.

The Vipers and Quarks have manageable grips. I have large hands and I still prefer smaller grips. Avoid Cobras like the plague. It's like holding a six inch pipe/pinch and climbing vertical ice.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:15 am

Thanks guys...I think that I will play with some other people's tools....worst case is that I'll have to pay full price for a set when I decide, but I'll be happier with what I get.

Its interesting about hand size/grip. I certainly don't have small hands, they're a comaprable size to almost all guys I know....but it'll be something that I'll watch for.

The head weight/upper body strength is something else that I didn't think about, but makes sence. I'll think about that too.

Thanks guys,
Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:26 am

regardless of if you have a big or small hand, the big grips are supper pumpy. I have big hands and I prefer small grips.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:36 pm

Fred wrote:regardless of if you have a big or small hand, the big grips are supper pumpy. I have big hands and I prefer small grips.

Is that why you need a sock? :)
dcentral

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred
Site Admin

Return to Gear