Harness

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Harness

Postby Andrew » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:16 am

Could someone recommend a fully adjustable padded climbing harness for me? I have a 100$ gift certificate I need to use for MEC and want to use it on a harness and some other small things.

I'm currently using a Rock Empire Peak Plus harness that I've been told is far from 'the best' and my harness is 5+yrs old.

I will use it for sport/trad and once a year I get out ice climbing. I use size large (33-36) rough size to be comfortable.

(Oo=W=oO)
Andrew

Postby Fred » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:30 am

Andrew,

for a long time I had the Arcteryx Targa and now I have the Arcteryx Vapor. I've tried other kinds and I still prefer the Arcteryx. If I were getting a harness tomorrow I'd be looking at an ice climbing harness (BD Blizzard) and keep my Vapor for sport and trad climbing. But I do a lot of ice. 15-20 times a season.

I would wear my Vapor ice climbing but it doesn't fit around my waist very well over my ski pants. The leg loops are ok, it's the belt. Still safe but off center. I have a 33" waist and I wear a medium harness so that is part of the problem. I suspect if it was a large it would be A.OK. It's fine for summer clothing though.

Having said all that. I would seriously recommend a harness with fitted leg loops like the Arcteryx Targa. It's so much more comfortable. And if you get a size large (based on the 33-36 you mentioned) you should be fine for the once a year outing on ice. So my recommendation is the Arcteryx Targa in a size large.

If you rack your trad gear on your belt instead of on a gear sling I would avoid Petzl harnesses. The gear loops on those harnesses can barely hold 5 quickdraws.

Hope this helps.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:34 pm

Thank you Fred. You have been very helpful. I'm going to start another thread asking about some other gear (winter this time).

Climb on / ski down
Andrew

Petzzzzl

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:10 am

Hey I have a Petzl Corax ($89). I love it for the most part, except the straps for back of the leg loops that hooks to the back of the waist section comes undone sometimes. But I think the newer ones have solved this problem with a better system. I spend a lot of time hanging from my harness (as I climb like a wuss) and its always been pretty comfortable and it fits great over top of my ice climbing duds. Go with a good brand too, like Petzl, BD or Arcteryx. Good luck man.

Gee, wish I had a $100 gift certificate!!!
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby martha » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:42 am

I think you'll find you don't like the Corax near as much when you have to rack a full trad rack on it. The gear loops push the gear between your legs, and don't have much space on them at all.

Andrew, I think you'd be happier with the Arc-teryx, but why don't you try them all on? Just go down to Halifax some day. :) It isn't far.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:39 pm

and rack gear on them when you try them on

You'll see what we mean about the gear loops with Petzl
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:11 pm

Yep, harnesses are a bit like climbing shoes, they all fit a little different.

Try some on, see where the gear loops land (one that fits will will have the gear loops in easy reach and symetrical on your body), see how it feel like hanging in it, see how it feels with bulkier clothes on.
granite_grrl

Postby Andrew » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:19 pm

*** UPDATE ***

I recieved my new ArcTeryx Targa LG size harness. It's great. I tried it out at NBCC-SJ wall on thursday night. It has a nice size range which allows for comfort fit. Now, if only pants were adjustable like that!! :P

Cya.
Andrew

Return to Gear