(Advice request) - Down Jacket for downhill-skiing

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Postby martha » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:22 pm

dcentral wrote:There isn't much if all you ski is Crabbe and Martock.

There is barely much point in skiing at all at those two hills. I'm not a down hill skier...but if I was...I'd move west.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby DanR » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:25 pm

Don't bash East-Coast skiing too much! Still lots of great powder and touring for people ready to travel to Gaspe, or New England :twisted: Snow's comming soon!

Dan
DanR

Postby martha » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:12 pm

hey now..I didn't say the ENTIRE east coast. I was talking about Crabbe and Martock! I know Quebec and New England have some shiznit skiing. Just like the ice climbing in both places is rad.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby PaulB » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:02 pm

Andrew wrote:Could you explain the point of telemarking?

It's fun, just like any other form of snow sliding. It just happens to be a lot more work and require more skill than the other options. It's the original technique for downhill skiing, and it looks incredibly cool when done well. 8)

dcentral wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's partial makes it easier to get around in the back country. It's easy to get uphill with out needing a lot of extra gear.

Actually, most backcountry skiers recognize that alpine touring gear is more efficient for touring (especially if there's a lot of climbing) since it has a frictionless pivot and there's no boot belows to work against. Going downhill, the fixed heel gives more power and security. On the other hand, tele gear can be more efficient on rolling terrain, and a good tele skier can get down anything that a fixed heeler can.

The AT vs. telemarking debate is never ending amongst the backcountry skiing crowd. :P
PaulB

Postby PaulB » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:08 pm

dcentral wrote:There isn't much if all you ski is Crabbe and Martock.

Tele is cool anywhere! In bounds or backcountry, it doesn't matter. The first time I saw a tele skier was at Crabbe, and that's where I took my first tele lesson.

I'll be ripping it up at Whistler tomorrow, and I can guarantee that there will be plenty of other telemarkers on the hill.
PaulB

Postby Richard Eh! » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:54 pm

PaulB wrote: a good tele skier can get down anything that a fixed heeler can.

The AT vs. telemarking debate is never ending amongst the backcountry skiing crowd. :P

:roll: I've never ever come across a tele skier in either the Sylvain or Soudan Couloirs, Tiger Chute or Pacalolo or out back of Hidden Notch or Garnet Bowl........but then it's been a while :roll:
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:49 pm

I've been to the following ski hills:

Poley Mountain - Sussex, NB : Rating [**xxx]
Crabbe Mountain-Freddy, NB : Rating [***xx]
Wentworth - Nova Scotia : Rating [****x]
Mont Farlange - Edmundstun : Rating [*****]

Mont Farlange is so awesome compared to the rest of those. Very nice hill with a variety of different types of runs. Nicer snow and better lift access.

I'm doing black diamond with some moguls and a littel bit of glades. Very fun.
Andrew

Postby jeremy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:31 pm

Hey andrew, check out big rock. Its in mars hill, maine. Its a great little hill, much better than crabbe, or poley, almost as good as farlange. You just cross the border at florenceville/centerville and your there (1.5 hrs north of fredericton). I've skied there for 15 yrs now. There is some "out of bounds" stuff you have to hike into on the far right of the mountain that is very cool.
http://www.bigrockmaine.com/

jeremy
jeremy

Postby PaulB » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:55 am

Richard Eh! wrote: :roll: I've never ever come across a tele skier in either the Sylvain or Soudan Couloirs, Tiger Chute or Pacalolo or out back of Hidden Notch or Garnet Bowl........but then it's been a while :roll:

Times have changed! Everything at Whistler & Blackcomb has been, and is regularly, skied on tele gear. People run the Couloir Extreme (formerly the Saudan Couloir) race on tele gear and even I have skied Pakalolo. Several of the pro patrollers ski tele while working, and you'll even see guys telemarking in the half pipe and terrain park. Next time your out west, keep your eyes open. :P
PaulB

Postby Richard Eh! » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:46 am

Jeez! Impressive! Dropping into the couloirs off the cornices would be ballsy in teles :!:
Richard Eh!

Postby mike » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:43 am

Telemarking gets more snow on your face. It's more difficult. Harder to stick landings on big airs. Less screwing around with bindings, as compared to randonee.
All good reasons to telemark.
I'd also suggest, that based on the characters that telemark, it might have something to do with the way it feels after huffing a lung full of BC's finest.

Mike
mike

Postby Richard Eh! » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:37 pm

mike wrote:I'd also suggest, that based on the characters that telemark, it might have something to do with the way it feels after huffing a lung full of BC's finest.Mike

Jeez! Ya think?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta love that high alpine experience :wink:
Richard Eh!

Postby dcentral » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:06 pm

Gotta love that high alpine experience Wink

Are you even allowed in the mountains if you aren't?
dcentral

Previous

Return to Gear