ICE BOOTS????

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

ICE BOOTS????

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:07 pm

Hey I am looking to buy a new pair of mountaineering boots (sorry Tom, the boots have been great but 10 days in Alberta, and a tube of 'Goop" later my feet just wont do it anymore!!), and I cant decide: Plastic or non-plasitc????

I really like the idea of having plastics for ice climbing, but are they actually better? my choices are limited as I dont have the option of trying on many boots before I buy but I think I will go with Koflachs for plastic or the Nepal Extremes for non plastic.

I want a boot that will be good for waterfall ice climbing but still good for long walks as I wish to do some more mountaineering in future. Is it posible to have an 'all-round' boot, or do most of you hard men have a few differant pair for differant needs?
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby martha » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:47 am

There is another thread in here on this where we discuss the plastic/non plastic debate.

I'm all for leather! Plastic never fits as well, is clunky to hike in and it really doesn't get cold enough around here to need it anyways.

search for the other threads though for more details.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:42 pm

I've heard that the Salomon Super 9's are crazy warm.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: ICE BOOTS????

Postby PaulB » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:54 pm

climberwannabe wrote:Plastic or non-plasitc????

It depends on where you are and what you're doing.

I really like the idea of having plastics for ice climbing, but are they actually better?

If you're climbing multi-pitch ice routes in the Rockies or Alaska in mid-winter, plastics are a good idea. For ice cragging in the rest of the country, insulated leathers will do the job.

I think I will go with Koflachs for plastic or the Nepal Extremes for non plastic.

As with all footwear, go with what fits your feet the best.

Is it posible to have an 'all-round' boot, or do most of you hard men have a few differant pair for differant needs?

If you can only have one pair of boots for everything, go for uninsulated leathers. You can make them warmer for the winter by wearing a vapour barrier or insulated super-gaiters (or both). If you don't mind your feet being a bit too warm in the summer, get insulated ones. Either will be better as an all 'round boot than plastics.

Personally, I've got three pairs of climbing boots:
- a super lightweight pair (Garmont Ferratas) for summer alpine climbing
- a pair of non insulated leathers (Salomon Super Mountain 9s) for all around summer mountaineering.
- a pair of insulated leathers (Scarpa Cumbre) for winter.

For a number of years, I used the Salomons for everything from alpine rock to Rockies ice (in March).
PaulB

Return to Gear