FS: Never be cold again!

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

FS: Never be cold again!

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:38 am

I have a Feathered Friends Frontpoint jacket that I don't really use. Mainly because of bulkyness. I swear you'll never be cold again with it. The model I have has a Dryloft shell and 800FP down. It's pretty much brand new! This thing is warm!

See details here: http://www.featheredfriends.com/garment ... t%20Jacket

Here are pictures of my jacket.

Make me an offer.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:40 pm

how is the abration resistance? Is it anygood for scrapingthrough thck woods?
Andrew

Postby martha » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:02 pm

Andrew...they don't make down jackets like that. They are for insulating without weight. thus abrasion resistant fabric adds weight.

down jackets or suits are placed under a gortex jacket/suit in extreme cold.

The best you are going to find for toughness is the Marmot one that has shoulders and elbows covered off. I think that Shawns Mountain Hardware Down also has some stiffer fabric on the shoulders and elbows, but I'm not positive on that.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:58 am

The fabric on this one is definitely tougher than a regular down jacket but not enough to go frolicking through thick woods.

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby martha » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:01 am

Mountain_Marc wrote:frolicking

:lol: :lol:

I love that word. HA

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:09 am

:wink:

Mountain_Marc

Postby Scooter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:26 pm

whast the retail price?
when did you buy iat?
Scooter

Postby martha » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:12 pm

Retail is about 295$ USD.

martha

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:49 pm

Where did you get that retail?

On the site, the retail is about 350$ US. Dryloft is equivalent of Quantum fabric so that's 335$ plus there is the 800 FP upgrade at 12$ for a total of 347$ US.

I had it for about a year and used twice and the previous owner had it for 2 and used it once. It's in new condition.

Mountain_Marc

Postby PaulB » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:28 pm

martha wrote:down jackets or suits are placed under a gortex jacket/suit in extreme cold.

Wearing a Gore-Tex shell over a down jacket for an extended period of time is a sure fire way to fill the down with moisture, which will reduce it's insulative qualities. That's why full Gore-Tex shells on down sleeping bags didn't work out so well. When layering, the more breathable layer (down) should go over the less breathable layer (Gore-Tex). That way moisture can work it's way out and not get trapped anywhere. If it's extremely cold, Gore-Tex is not required as it's not likely to rain or snow. The big puffy down suits that you see people wearing on Everest & Denali typically have a Dryloft shell, which is much more breathable than Gore-Tex, but still provides some protection from external moisture.

I've never worn anything made by Feathered Friends, but I know that their gear is highly regarded by climbers in Washington state. For comparison purposes, the Frontpoint Jacket is very similar to MEC's Cygnus 700DL, which is a quality product as well (I have one).
PaulB

Postby dcentral » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:46 pm

Yeah that's why gortex isn't so hot here on Vancouver island cause it's never cold and or dry enough. There's never enough difference in temperature to move away from your body.
dcentral

Postby martha » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:20 pm

PaulB wrote:Wearing a Gore-Tex shell over a down jacket for an extended period of time is a sure fire way to fill the down with moisture, which will reduce it's insulative qualities.

yup, I agree, but the XCR gortex breathes so is a bit different than the old school stuff that could nearly be like a rubber rain coat! hehe.

PaulB wrote: The big puffy down suits that you see people wearing on Everest & Denali typically have a Dryloft shell, which is much more breathable than Gore-Tex, but still provides some protection from external moisture.

This makes sense. I was thinking those exact suits but never knew what they put over then. I just assumed it was something that kept them dry from the rain/snow like gortex.

Mountain_marc I got that quote online at a discount place but it was the cheapest pricing I found. Most were in the 320-360$ range. I will look again for you if you like but I think I found it through 'epinions' or ome of those sites.

martha

Return to Gear