Pulsars?

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Pulsars?

Postby szymiec » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:30 pm

What do you folks think of the Pulsars from Charlet Moser? I wanted them for Alpine ice and everything out here.

I bought the silver ones that come with an attachment for a 60 cm mountaineering axe. I am kind of worried about the 'tightness' of the tool here.

seems really sweet to me, just looking to justify the 165 i spent to get them to my door.

Chris
http://www.szymiec.com
szymiec

Postby mathieu » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:47 pm

Used them for 4 or five years. Its a decent tool, of course they are a bit old school and the curve isn't really much but once you figure out a tools swing its all good. I also had the silver attachment and it actually is quite tight. They are a good alpine tool, I found that the curve actually prevents some nice pluging. At 165 I wouldn't worry about it, they are worth it.
mathieu

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:35 am

are they any good for waterfall?
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby mathieu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:02 pm

Frozen waterfall yes, thawed waterfall maybe, niagara falls I have my doubts. But all hilarious jokes aside, yes they climb waterfall ice nicely. Now I don't guarantee that your pinkies will be spared from the bashies but they will get you up anything, hey look at the late great Alex Lowe, he climbed all sorts of rad ice with those tools.

I can't believe I wrote he word "rad ice"
mathieu

Postby Matt Peck » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:46 pm

Yeah, those pulsars are pretty decent for getting into the game. The dogleg could have been a hair longer I think, because I was always gripping so far down the shaft that my little finger was right on the edge. This is the most comfortable position as it gives you the greatest amount of clearance. It would be worth getting one of those Grivel Retrogrips for the bottom of the shaft, as this would save you the inevitable (double underline that word) Pinky bashing (I now have bone splinters in my first digits) The upgrade from this will be the Quarks. The way you will learn to swing the Pulsars will let you graduate smoothly into the Quarks.
Good first tools man! One more thing, Tighten the hell out of the pick nuts, as they loosen over time and lead to scary pick shift. Some Red (the not quite impossible to undo later color) Locktite oughta do.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to Gear