Who gives the best screw?

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Which ice screw do you prefer?

Grivel 360
36%
Petzl Charlet Moser Laser Sonic
27%
Black Diamond Turbo Express
27%
DMM Revolution
9%
Omega Pacific Smiley
No votes
Lowe Snarg
No votes
Stubai Sigma
No votes

Total votes : 11

Who gives the best screw?

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:17 pm

hahahaha. Oh thats funny. Ok, so I'm wicked bored today, and after just trying out the poll option for the first time, I'm on a roll.
What's your opinion on who makes the best ice screw? I've got preferences for different conditions, but overall Im gonna go with the PCM Laser Sonic. It's expensive (horribly so) but damn does it work well.
Again, not every brand will be listed, but I've tried to cover the main ones, and only the cadelacs of each brand.
M@
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby martha » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:25 pm

I love the Grivel screws as they are a breeze to place, however they are bulky on your Rack. pros/cons I guess.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:07 pm

The Grivels place well in corners and depressions and they go in like the wind but can sometimes be a pain when nearing completion of the 'screw' and also for placing draws. That's the only downside.

For that reason, I chose BD Express. There are little scenarios where you curse at the BD Express. Cursing at a screw is usualy good indication of how good it is.

Mathieu, remember when you threw my Smiley off the cliff out of frustration? LOL That is also good indication of how good a screw is.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:09 pm

Fred wrote:Mathieu, remember when you threw my Smiley off the cliff out of frustration? LOL That is also good indication of how good a screw is.

I still remember the frustration of placing that screw. Overall my choice goes with the sharp screw. Realistically I don't care what brand but as long as it goes in nicely.
mathieu

Postby mike » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:33 am

Yeah. What he said. A sharp screw is a good one. Whatever brand makes those long handles to turn em in... I'm not a big fan of those. I like the little twisties on the old style hanger.

One big pre-climb advantage that I've found is, with careful quickdraw selection and installation, you can pre rig the quickdraws and biners onto the screw's shaft- if you choose the right qd's they fit so tight that they don't fall off.

Super nice for sketchy stances and el primo for racking.

Mike
mike

Return to Gear