***ATTENTION*** Alien Recall

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Postby Richard Eh! » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks for that, I have three that are identified by the recall and have contacted the company, awaiting their response. I'm a little concerned that MEC, being my source for the product, has not yet attempted to inform Alien purchasers of the recall.
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:37 pm

Richard - I've seen the threads on RC.com about the aliens, I wonder if you might be better off returning them to MEC and getting your money back right away then sending them to CCH (think how many are going back to CCH, it'll take forever to get them back). MEC has a pretty good return policy, I'd have to think a recall like this would be pretty good reason for wanting to return them.

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby dcentral » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:02 pm

MEC can usually tell you if what you have bought is affected by the recall. If you haven't been contacted maybe your cams don't need to be recalled.
dcentral

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:44 am

There is a little stamp on the bottom of the triggers that gives four digits that signify the month and year of manufacture. My only CCH was done in 0304 for example. Either way you put the dates, Im ok. Good thing I pawned off my other alien. Hahaha.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby martha » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:55 pm

Matt Peck wrote:Good thing I pawned off my other alien. Hahaha.

even the one you pawned off is okay. ;)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:07 pm

Wow after reading that thread, I don't think I will ever buy a CH product.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby martha » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:29 pm

I dunno, lots of companies have had recalls on various items from biners to cams to nuts.

Just like car companies have recalls on car parts and everything else. I feel much safer knowing that they are going through the testing processes to FIND the recalls. :)

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:26 pm

Yes but as per the RC thread, they were told over and over again and the CCH at one point said it may have been a hoax, even after the countless numbers of people talking about severe manufacturing defects. I think through those peoples accounts that the CCH QA process is less than satisfactory, and really I am not willing to stake my life on it.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Richard Eh! » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:02 pm

Well, surprise, I haven't heard back from CCH!
You're right Rebecca, so, in the meantime I did contact MEC informing them that three of the six Aliens I have are identified in the posted recall thread. They read me a policy letter they have just today received concerning this issue. It informs staff to withold all further sales of Aliens until such time as the specific problem models are positively identified through CCH's current on-going and soon to be completed(this week) investigative testing. Once the results are in Mec will take whatever steps necessary to address the problem. They are advising owners not to use the suspect product until then. Duh!
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby martha » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:44 pm

Well it is a good thing that the aliens don't work well as ice protection.

:lol:

I won't be using mine for a few more months I guess...though neither of them fall into the date range for the recall.

martha

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:45 am

The Mitt wrote:Yes but as per the RC thread, they were told over and over again and the CCH at one point said it may have been a hoax, even after the countless numbers of people talking about severe manufacturing defects. I think through those peoples accounts that the CCH QA process is less than satisfactory, and really I am not willing to stake my life on it.

Mitt

The whole way CHH handled the situation seemed pretty unprofessional. I'm a pretty avid RC.com user and the way the threads unfolded were dumbfounding:

Thread #1: http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/104150
Thread #2: http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/104279
Thread #3: http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/104768

Plus a few other threads here and there about people's trust in CHH and the gear getting pulled off the shelves. The thing that probably makes me the most cranky is that mgear actually took initiative and did testing on the cams before CHH actually did (or at least they posted their results to a very concerned RC comunity).

I tells ya, I do (did?) really like Aliens....but at this time I'm pretty happy that I have TCUs on my rack instead.

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:41 am

I prefer the metolious tcu's by far but the aliens certainly have their special place. The narrower head makes for great placements where the TCU won't go.

I didn't have any aliens on my rack until this year, so i can certainly protect without them. Just sucks that the money got spent is all. Oh well. could be worse.

martha

Postby john » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:46 am

Well as someone did weeks ago on rc.com I am offering to buy all reasonable shape aliens from anyone wanting to part with them, recall ones or not for half or retail price, any takers?
john

Postby martha » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:21 am

http://www.aliencamsbycch.com

there is some info on their website.

martha

Return to Gear