WANTED - Holds...

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

WANTED - Holds...

Postby jeff. » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:18 pm

Looking for holds for a woodie. Let me know what you have and what you want to sell them for and I will contact you.

J.
jeff.

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:34 pm

Have you ever considered making some?? On our home wall we have some big wooden jugs that work well, but by giving a rougher texture you can make smaller holds.

I can take some photos and send them to you if you're interested, just PM me.

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby Scooter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:03 pm

you can also make some home holds by using silicone and sand/ small gravel. Its textured and you can make your own shapes. Not to mention it is cheap!
Scooter

Postby thicks » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:26 pm

Anyone know of any good Do-It-Yourself websites for hold making?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:24 pm

Found this: http://www.stephenwilliamson.com/Climbi ... gholds.htm

pretty interesting.

One note: one of the more expensive parts of making holds is making the mold, unless you reuse one mold over and over and over again, it probably won't be worth while. One friend I have uses play-dough for some of his molds, he rests the playdough in sand so it won't just flop appart when you put the resin in. He has also done things like used half a small basketball, where you can kinda warp the shape of it.

Also to reduce cost, he doesn't buy his sand, he uses some from a local beach. Now, because this sand isn't while, its hard to colour (so he doesn't), and his holds tend to be a blah brown.

Haven't tried this stuff myself, but if you go onto a site like Rockclimbing.com you'll find quite a few threads on the subject.

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby thicks » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:27 am

many thanks, I keep forgetting about that 'other' board... :oops:
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Return to Gear