Best GMRS, FRS for use in climbing?

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Best GMRS, FRS for use in climbing?

Postby Richard Eh! » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:51 pm

For those of you who use these radios to communicate with your belayer/climbing partner, which make/model would you recommend or discourage? I'm interested in actual distance limits for clarity of response (as opposed to advertised range), ease of use and battery life in summer and especially in winter temps (thinking multi-pitch where yelling to your partner is offset by wind or surf noise or crowded areas, or tugging rope signals isn't very effective).
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby szymiec » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:29 pm

Hey, pretty much even the cheapest one is going to be crystal clear from a distance of 60M while climbing. I used the black motorolla ones, not sure of the model but the mose expensive one at MEC for Skiing. The range was insane but is largely dependent on line of sight. Stay away from cheese ball extra features, they just suck the battery.

hope this helps

Chris
szymiec

Postby Richard Eh! » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:33 pm

Thanks Chris, yeah the end of a rope isn't that far for sure, but I was hoping to use it hiking, bikiing, paddling, etc. so I was wondering which and/or how many have the advertised range, battery life and so on.
And I think you're right about extra features suking the life out of the battery. That seems to be the case with my GPS as well.
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Return to Gear