Helmet Hunting

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Helmet Hunting

Postby Ken P » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:42 pm

Looking for a noggin protector, I've tried the Petzl Elios. Looking for some favorites from others. Thanks to all. :D
Ken P

Postby martha » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:53 pm

I have the Black Diamond 'half dome' and really like it because it has a suspension and foam stuff. I use it for rock only. I don't like the ones that are just foam as they don't serve much protection from falling objects.

I use the Edelrid Ultralight for Ice Climbing as it has more ear coverage and is a full suspension helmet for falling objects. ICE!!!!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 pm

I don't have one but wish I did the Half Dome is the way to go. I own a camp which fits great but keeps falling apart and I have glued it 2 times.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:32 am

The Mitt wrote:I don't have one but wish I did the Half Dome is the way to go. I own a camp which fits great but keeps falling apart and I have glued it 2 times.

Mitt

Dude, I've had that Camp helmet, glue melted on hot days and got all in my hair. Ewww. So I took it back to MEC and got myself a Half Dome (this was all a few years ago, MEC no longer carries that god forsaken Camp helmet anymore, thanks goodness).

Honestly I would consider two things with helmets: if you're afraid of many falling object smashing you head, go the way Cara did and get suspension type helmet. If not then go for something a little more comfy and light like the Half Dome or Elios. The second thing is fit. Try some on and buy the one that fits you best and is the most comfortable.

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:25 am

petzl ecrin rock
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby thicks » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:55 am

Was there not a thread pushing for hockey helmets at one point in time?
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Richard Eh! » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:14 pm

I second Fred's choice... I had a big chunk of ice bounce off my Ecrin Roc two weeks ago that almost brought me to my knees. I don't think a softball size rock would have made less of an impact If I'd had an Elios I think the light vinyl shell and foam would have been compromised and I'd now be looking for a new one. While the argument can be made that the Elios or similar foam helmet would have done it's job, I prefer the less costly (in the long run) suspension type, the "Ecrin" especially because it offers the most space between my noggin and the bombproof outer shell.
Hell, I even occasionally keep a sandwich in there when it's really cold to keep it from freezing in my pack!
So if you see white stuff oozing out after I've been conked, no biggie, it's probably just mayo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby dcentral » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:26 pm

I have an elios. I like it. It could use more padding after long periods of use.

I'll probably ecrin for my next helmet. Beside sandwiches you can also tape extra headlamp batteries or bulbs in there as well if you wear a lamp on it a lot.
dcentral

Postby dcentral » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:27 pm

Oh and the main reason I went with the Elios was that at the time I was buying one. It was the only size 2 helmet they had at MEC in Halifax at the time.
dcentral

Postby Stan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:32 pm

I have seen a guy whose Camp Rockstar was smashed into pieces by a falling rock. The victim remained unconscious until he was brought to the intensive care... almost 22 hours after the accident. The rock ricocheted in the couloir and hit him into his upper forehead. However, no bones were broken (i.e. the shock energy was absorbed by the helmet) and the lucky man appeared in the gym a month and half later...
That being said, almost any UIAA certified helmet will protect you from the top (that's how they are tested), but I'd prefer a lower sitting cap that covers temples and forehead
Stan

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:41 pm

P.S. Just got a Camp SilverStar :wink:
Stan

Postby dcentral » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:05 am

At rope rescue the other night I took two bit foot size rocks off my Elios and I didn't even feel it.

So atleast I know they work well.

The insdustrail Petzal helements are really nice and comfortable, but they do lack ventalation.
dcentral

Postby The Teth » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:40 pm

Rebecca, good to see you back!

Not that I endorse your method of field testing, but how did your Black Diamond Half Dome hold up in your recent ledge fall? What part of your head sustained the fracture, and how did the helmet perform? Did it take a significant portion of the impact force? I know you don’t remember the incident, but I assume you have examined the helmet.

Having a Half Dome myself, I am curious.

Teth
The Teth

Return to Gear