WARNING - Not all drill bits are equal

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

WARNING - Not all drill bits are equal

Postby tracstarr » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:55 pm

so anyway, conan and I were out trying to do some bolting tonight with a bit bought from a local hardware shop... conan what was it's name?..... and it was definatly an inferior bit. RIght off the bat things seemed slow, but i thought it was the type of rock or low battery power..... nope. By the third hole i had all my weight on the drill and it took like 5 min to make the friggin hole . THen unknown to me, the hole was actually too narrow! I hammered in the bolt, and by the time i realized it wasn't goin in smooth I couldn't get it back out. argh. another bolt needlessly has to be cut. So anyway, we looked at the tip and found it was already worn nearly flat! Maybe conan can link a pic for those that don't know what i mean. anyway, it goes to show some bits are useless. Next we'll try one from hilti.

argh.
tracstarr

Postby martha » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:10 am

You have to make sure that you get cobalt tip bit or it won't work. A regular masony bit won't do it.

Hilti or Fixe bits are your only option in my opinion.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:26 pm

I really like hilti, I find that they last longer.

Mitt
The Mitt

Return to Gear