Trying to go light gear sale...

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Trying to go light gear sale...

Postby mathieu » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:16 am

I've been doing lots of easy alpine rock and I usually bring a very light rack (usually a total of 10 to 12 pieces). I keep hearing people say to buy the lightest biners out there but really if I bring 20 biners and my total weight averaged at 10g a biner then I save 2kg .....wait a minute thats 2 litres of water. .....

I'm finding it dificult to justify buying new biners when I have more than enough. Same goes with Cams, I know the new camelots weight much less (especieally the #1, 2, and 3). I guess i'm not a true gear whore. So here is a shot in the dark.

Is anyone interested in buying my used biners. If interested just pm me and I can give you exact numbers of biners.

dozen Notcheless Luckys straight gates
1/2 dozen dmm eclipse straight
1/2 dozen dmm eclipse bent
few BD notch straight gate
few DB notch bent gate
few Oval BD
few D shaped BD
1 or 2 DMM lynx lockers

How about my BD camelots (#1, 2, and 3)?

Here's a post that is going to die quickly...
mathieu

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:15 pm

I'll give you 30 bones for the #3 camalot
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:35 pm

how about 50$ for the # 1 and 3?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Shawn B » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:20 am

Not a gear whore...whatever!! When you start justifying buying new gear by using incorrect math calculations for your reasoning...you are definitely a gear whore. :lol: The last time I checked, 20 biners at a saving of 10g/biner = 200g...or just shy of 1/2 a pound. So just incase your financial calculations were as accurate...figuring new biners at an average cost of $10 X 20 = $200 less say $30-$40 for your used ones and that works out to approx 82.5 cents/g. If we are talking cams too...the cost/g goes way up. So just admit it...you want new gear. Its the first step in gearaholics anonymous.
Shawn B

Re: Trying to go light gear sale...

Postby mathieu » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:36 am

mathieu wrote:So here is a shot in the dark.
Here's a post that is going to die quickly...

I honestly didn't think I was going to get any response to my biner sale, and I didn't. It was mostly tongue in cheek. The cams however I would gladly unload for the right price but I think i'll keep my #3 instead of taking the 30$ Fred is offering. Nice try Fred, way to pounce on a defenseless gear whore as myself.

:D
mathieu

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm moving toward super light too. Just bought the new shoe lace slings to replace the old 60mm dynema runners. Next step will be to switch up all my draws for wire draws. The WC look pretty sweet. What is the lightest on the market?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:37 am

HAHA.

well, the best way to lighten up your rack, I say is to just lose a few pounds...

In Mat's case.. unless he has changed, it is doubtful that he has anything to lose.... well.. he could leave his smokes at home. ;)

However.. in Fred's case... hehee.....5lbs from his middle (sympathy baby weight) would do wonders...

(i reckon I'm going to pay for this post......)

hehehehe

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mathieu » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:11 am

martha wrote:he could leave his smokes at home. ;)

Done, and done. :wink:

Fred wrote:Next step will be to switch up all my draws for wire draws. The WC look pretty sweet. What is the lightest on the market?

Yeah the WC look nice and I think they are some of the lightest out there. I'd stay away from the smaller keyring size BD biners. I've got a few of those and they are just too small.

YEEEHAW !!! Damn office people, everyone things they are a cowboy during stampede. :?
mathieu

Postby Stevo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:42 pm

I'd be interested in buying any Chouinard/BD "Light Ds" that you (or anyone else) has for sale.

Cheers

Steve
Stevo

go ultralight

Postby cory » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:13 pm

I've figured out the best way to go light. I upgraded all my pro for about $150. It's 3.5'x4' by a whopping 6", and weighs less than 8 lbs. There are no pockets for food, or a jacket so the most weight I ever carry on the approach is that 8 lbs on my back plus maybe a water bottle in one hand and shoes in the other.

When it comes time to climb, I shave off even more weight by removing my clothing. (Speaking of shaving: I shave it all, there's no need to haul a pound of hair up 200 inches of rock if you don't have to!)

:wink: Cory
cory

Postby martha » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:42 pm

You and Lister. climbing naked. Lucky for us...that in your case there aren't many stemming opportunities with bouldering...With Trad Man Lister however.......

martha

Return to Gear