camera

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

camera

Postby Scooter » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:17 pm

in a bit of a pickle.... nickon d50 or d70s?
Scooter

Postby jnnfr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:34 pm

D70s!!!
jnnfr

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:31 pm

I have yet to figure out the subtle difference of these two cameras. The specs are almost identical. In my opinion the D70s has little to offer better than the D50 given the significant price difference. I think what Nikon has attempted to do is... First they released the D70 but then wanted to release the D50 which would have had better features than the D70. So they decided to 're-release' the D70 by improving some features such as the size of the LCD display and then called it the D70s. Unfortunate for those who bought the D70.

Tell us a little about what you want to be able to do and where you'd like to go with photography etc The best thing about digital SLR is the ability to use different lenses which can give different effects and the quick (almost instantaneous) reflex/snap of the shutter for taking photos. Vs Point and Shoot cameras.

check out these sites for some good info:

http://www.nikondigital.com
http://www.photo.net
http://www.nikonians.org
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:54 pm

these are the only significant differences which I can see:

D70s
-up to 1/8000 shuter speed
-uses Compact Flash memory cards
-max 3 frames per second

D50
-up to 1/4000 shuter speed
-uses SD memory cards
-max 2.5 frames per second

I have yet to shoot a photo any faters than 1/4000 so the D50 would probably suit my needs in that respect. I also never used continuous action shots where the 3fps may be beneficial. And 2.5 vs 3.0 is not a big difference. SD cards are actualy much more available than CF and are about the same price. They only problem might be if you decide to upgrade to a bigger Nikon camera in the future (say D200) and these all use CF cards. You would have to get new cards. The lenses are all the same on any of these cameras so it is non issue.

In summary, I think the D70s is not much better than the D50. If you need more features such as faster, more megapixels, more AF capabilities, more weatherproofing etc then I suggest looking at the D200 but it will leave a bigger hole in your pocket. Otherwise the D50 is a sweet camera.

Please don't take my opinion for granted. I strongly recommend you research at the links I gave you above.

hope this helps. Sorry to ramble.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Scooter » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:56 pm

thanks for the sites fred.... I was also unable to come up with any SIGNIFICANT differences between the two. Right now I just plan on taking pictures, having fun and doing it for myself but my plan is go get better and have a portfolio someday so im just trying to get some specs.
Scooter

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:45 pm

well if you can spare the extra cash the D70s might have minor additonal bonuses but you certainly won't be short handed by going with the D50. I would spend that coin difference on a lens instead. AGAIN, do an independent research at the links I posted before.

I would recommend buying the D50 body and with the $250 difference buy the Nikon 18-70mm DX lens instead of the 18-55mm DX lens that comes with most D50 kits. The upgraded D50 package is only $20 more than if you buy the D70s but with the inferior 18-55mm lens. See links below.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... reId=10001

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... reId=10001

Beware if you buy lenses, things work differently on digital cameras since the CCD sensor is smaller than a 35mm role of film. An 18mm lens is super wideangle on film bodies but not so wide on digital. There are also other factors such a chromatic abberation, vignetting, etc that all need to be considered if you plan on using 35mm body lenses on digital cameras with CCD sized sensors. Eventhough the other lenses do work on these cameras, digital camera lenses ARE different.

On a side note. Read up on White Balance, exposure for digital and histograms. This will make more sense when you start reading.

cheers
Fred
Site Admin

Postby jnnfr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:13 pm

Good luck picking a camera Scott!! The options are endless and often there aren't alot of differences between cameras. I've always been a Nikon shooter, but I know Canon has some awesome DSLRs too.

Another site to check out might be http://www.dpreview.com but don't bother reading the "User Reviews".

My advice:
If you can, buy a camera locally with a good return policy, shoot as much as you can under all conditions in the first few days and if you're not 100% happy, take it back and try something else. In my opinion, trial and error is the best method.

Have fun! I'm jealous - I wish I was camera shopping too!

ps: If you end up with a Nikon, I have some awesome lenses you can try!
jnnfr

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:46 pm

jnnfr is absolutely right. If you don't already have Nikon lenses you should definitely consider the Canon DSLRs. Did I just say that?! LOL Beware that some of their cameras use full size sensors (you should read up on the differences). This is probably a good thing for finding used lenses from 35mm bodies.

jnnfr,

have you found a replacement for your D100 yet? :)
Fred
Site Admin

Postby jnnfr » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:27 am

Nothing can ever replace my dear, sweet D100!!!

I got a Nikon coolpix 8400. I wanted the wide angle lens and I wanted something that I could pack more easily than an SLR and 3 lenses. It's great for outside, but indoors and low light it's not so impressive. However, outdoors is what I bought it for. But if I had the money...
jnnfr

Postby thicks » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:49 am

Price differences via ebay:

ebay.ca

the combo kits seem to differ in price more because of the lens included instead of the actually cameras. Half decent prices here though...
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby betaburgler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:58 am

Definately check out http://www.dpreview.com . I noticed someone else recomended it and it is by far one of the most comprehensive and accurate camera review sites on the net.

Also I noticed talk of the difference between 35mm film lense and a lense specific to a cammera and it's CCD. You can do calculations in order to determine what your equivalent focal lengths will be. Sometimes you can actually squeeze extra value out of a 35mm lense simply because the equivalent focal lengths for your CCD might be much more appealing then the original focal lengths for 35mm film. Just check it out first, because as the previous poster mentioned you may find that there is distortion, but you may also find that for a lower price you can get a great "zoom" lense.
betaburgler

Return to Gear