Viper leashes

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Viper leashes

Postby Graham » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:39 pm

As winter fast approaches and the dreams of massive faces of beautiful virgin ice begin to cloud our vision, I figured I'd look for a little advice.

Over the summer I picked up a pair of vipers for cheap and was wondering what type of leashes people would recommend. I hear that quick release is the way to go, but the vipe Android leash apparently doesn't allow you to grap the top of the tool. For those who have used them before, do you find this annoying? Do the regular android leashes work ok with it? Anyway, any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Graham

P.S. I'm somewhat of a novice, I'm hoping to learn how to lead on ice this year, or at least do a bit of seconding, so I don't know if that makes a difference when selecting leashes.
Graham

Postby martha » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:48 pm

Being able to get in and out of your leashes easily is essential for leading and seconding. Placeing and retreiving screws is tough if you can't get out of your tools. Since you have the Vipers.... I would reccomend just going leashless anyways unless you are going to be on something really steep and you think you'll pump off. You definately want leashes for the harder stuff if you are a newb.. but considering that, you won't be leading anything harder than a grade 3 anyways, and you'll likely always be able to get a decent stance on one to place screws.

Bah to the Vipers anyways. I like the Quarks. :D
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:31 am

don't bother with leashes. Get the pinky basher instead.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Shawn B » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:29 am

I will answer your question Graham. I find the viper specific leash to be a bit restricting. It is a very nice clean design but I think the attachment point on the shaft is a bit too low (although I'm sure there is some reason for it being where it is). I find I can grab the top of the tool but can't "mantle" on it. The biggest pain I find with it is that the length to the clip is so short it is hard to grasp it between index finger and thumb to re-attach it if I am wearing bulkier gloves. I have the non viper android on my Cobras and really like them but not sure how they would work on the Viper where the shaft is bent much more than the Cobra. I find the clip system to be quite good although you should play with it quite a bit before use as there are certain things you can do which will cause it to unclip unintentionally. Any unintentional unclip is most likely pilot error despite what some may say.

I personally would recommend against initially going leashless when starting to lead. If when you get experience and you wish to do so, fill your boots. Even a grade 2+ will be scary for a new ice leader and the last thing you need is to be 15 feet runout and drop a tool.
Shawn B

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:13 am

I would have to agree with shawn. Get the standard android, or make a leash out of a piece of webbing. I too got a cheap pair of vipers last year, but with the pinky attachment, I was more than happy to just go leashless. I would reccomend that you go with a leash when you are getting started out though. Webbing is cheap, and with a quick wrap or two, almost as fast as the webbing. Ultimately it will be whatever you prefer. Hope that was a little more helpful
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Graham » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:52 am

Awsome thanks. I think I'll probably go with some formof leash as I don't quite trust myself to hold onto the tools if I take a tumble. Hopefully a trip down to mec will be in order soon. Thanks again for the advice.
Graham

Postby Peabody » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:09 pm

The androids are fantastic, the only drawback is their price. I've had lots of friends use them and have tried them several times myself...so if you've got the money, do it. Otherwise, non-quick release leashes work well once you get the hang of them.
Peabody

Return to Gear