Trecking Poles

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Trecking Poles

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:33 pm

They seem like a simple enough product....but then there are 14 different poles on MEC's website.

poles

As far as I can tell the big difference between them is their weight (and they make some shorter versions for shorter women). Are there any other subtle differences that I should be looking at?
granite_grrl

Postby mathieu » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:43 pm

Cheap and not kimmiky. The shock absorber is the most kimmicky. I had luck with the BD contour since they don't have the twist-to-lock mechanism, simply a clamp.
mathieu

Postby dcentral » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:33 pm

Yeah treking poles are great.

I've been using these cheap o's ($20) from from Outbound for the last two years.

They were only supposed to last one trip but they are hanging in there. Really good if you want to see if you like poles.

The weight is the biggest thing (you wouldn't think byt you do notice it). I switched with a friend one day who had more expensive ones and its a noticeable over a long period of walking when you are swing your arm all day even if it's just a few grams.

I personally think the ones that lock out with a clamp instead of the twist and lock out are a lot better. Carolyn has a lot of problems twisting ours to to get them to expand or contract.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618809&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302697481&bmUID=1165274920740

A friend has these ones he bought them for his girlfriend who was just getting over a back injury. They are great, super light easy to expand and the grip extends down the pole quite away which is great because you can lower your grip on the pole with out having to readjust the pole and still have padding.
dcentral

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:49 pm

We stopped into the local gear shop today and we picked up the Komperdell Master Sherpas. I think these ones will work out fairly well, but they do have the twist locks.

I didn't really want to wait till I got to the Halifax MEC, I don't really trust that they'll have them in stock, and I wanted to make sure I had them.

I'm going to see if I can claim them as a medical expense :P. I would never have gotten them if I hadn't broken my leg, but they should be useful regardless.
granite_grrl

Postby dcentral » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:16 pm

I wasn't really a fan of them till I started using them and I think they are great. they take a lot of weight off your knees.
dcentral

Postby jnnfr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:50 pm

After hiking in Cape Chignecto, I'm now a devoted fan of trekking poles. If you can get a good a rhythm going, they make such difference - both for your knees and speed.
jnnfr

Postby saF » Tue May 22, 2007 8:07 am

I did a bit of research a few years ago about trekking poles and you will find lots of people who love the love the clips on the Black Diamond poles and lots of people who hate them, preferring the twist lock. The biggest reason being that the twist locking mechanism is (supposedly) easier to do field maintenance on.

My wife sometimes has trouble with her knees when hiking up and down steep hills. At first she didn't want to use the poles we had, but once she used them on a looonnng hill during a day hike at Cape Chignecto, she now swears by them.

Hope they work out well for you Rebecca.

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Postby martha » Tue May 22, 2007 8:35 am

I am also thinking about a pair as Marie-France is getting heavy in a back Pack. She is about 22ish pounds and by the time I add some water, diapers, food etc I've probably got 40lbs or so. Just the weight of a rope and rack right?

well...yes....except her weight is dynamic and when she spins her head around to look at a bird or something, the weight shift really makes me work hard to stand up! I think poles would help.

I do have one thing to say from experience with another product.. Cork Handles would be awesome.

cork is one of the best shock absorbers around. They now use cork in hospital and other high traffic floor areas for the workers knees and backs. and it is very very light in comparison to a rubber handle. :)

let me know how you make out Rebecca!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Tue May 22, 2007 10:48 am

I've had them since xmas, and they have served me well. I just got a pair of aluminum poles and have not noticed a problem with the weight (they're a base model for when the poles start to get good). But I'll tell you some of the problems I've had.

The screw lock on one pole doesn't screw properly, maybe I should take it apart to look at it, but this has made me wish that I have gotten the BD pole lock design.

Also, I got rubber handles, which were great in the winter, gave lots of grip when my hands were in gloves. But now that I've been using them in the warmer weather my hands sweat too much against them. Don't know if this would be any better with a different handle material.

I'm getting around pretty good now without walking aids, but these poles are the one thing I keep using. They really help when I'm carrying a pack, especially un and down hills. In fact, there are some sketchy sections of hikes where I'm actually a little more stable than my strong legged friends because of the poles.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Tue May 22, 2007 9:44 pm

granite_grrl wrote:
Also, I got rubber handles, which were great in the winter, gave lots of grip when my hands were in gloves. But now that I've been using them in the warmer weather my hands sweat too much against them. Don't know if this would be any better with a different handle material.

I doubt you would have this issue with cork. but is hard to say.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Re:

Postby PaulB » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Apologies for the thread resurrection...

saF wrote:... you will find lots of people who love the love the clips on the Black Diamond poles and lots of people who hate them, preferring the twist lock. The biggest reason being that the twist locking mechanism is (supposedly) easier to do field maintenance on.

Have have BD poles with the Flicklock mechanism and a pair of Leki Sport poles with an internal twist type lock. My experience is that the Flicklock is superior. The twist type can be hard to adjust in cold temperatures, especially when wearing gloves. I've also had it slip when weighted, which is scary when you're carrying an 80lb pack. The Flicklock is dead easy to operate and has never slipped on me. If it does need adjustment, there is one screw that be easily adjusted with a multi-tool.
PaulB

Return to Gear