WTB: crampons for seriously small boots

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

WTB: crampons for seriously small boots

Postby Paddlerx » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:45 pm

i need to find a pair of crampons for my girlfriend. she's got supersmall feet and my old pair of bd switchblades won't come close to fitting down that small. if anyone has a pair/suggestions on brands and models that would fit, i'd appreciate it.

cheers,
don
Paddlerx

Postby martha » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:22 pm

I've got small feet too and the Black Diamond Bionics come in 2 sizes. The smallest size fit my boots and would adjust at least another 3-4 sizes down.

I really really liked those crampons too. They work really well.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Can you drill another hole in the spreader bar?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:14 pm

I should have also added. Many of BD's parts are interchangeable. You might be able to get a different spreader bar from another set of BD crampons.

I think BD has switched to a one size fits most now and their site only has a "center bar" to make them bigger from what it sounds like.

My Sabretooths (from '05) are on the biggest setting for my size 12.5's. On the smallest setting they are about 9"-9.5" from front to back bails, I'm not sure what boot size that would be. I could make them another inch smaller yet by drilling a new hole, taking off the locking clip and replacing it with a bolt.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Max Reduction

Postby Paddlerx » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:10 am

I've already drilled a new hole AND cut off part of the spreader bar to get them smaller still, they did fit her plastics after the modification but the new leathers are probably 2 sizes smaller still.
i think i'll follow caras lead and look for some bionics or similar used.
thanks for all the input though.

don
Paddlerx

Re: Max Reduction

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:04 am

Paddlerx wrote:I've already drilled a new hole AND cut off part of the spreader bar to get them smaller still, they did fit her plastics after the modification but the new leathers are probably 2 sizes smaller still.
i think i'll follow caras lead and look for some bionics or similar used.
thanks for all the input though.

don

Holy crap! You dating an elf? I'm surprised that those modifications didn't do it.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby martha » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:26 am

My plastics were fine with a mens crampon on the smallest setting but when I switched to leathers I had the same problem. they are sooooo much smaller.

I have a ladies size 7 foot (not really small...but in the world of mens ice climbing gear it is). The Bionics are great. Though I see that MEC doesn't have them anymore. I found this online store that seems to have both sizes.

http://www.mountainmagic.com also seems to have them in both sizes.

Good luck!!

I'm hoping that the Rambos Santa is bringing me will adjust small enough!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:52 am

martha wrote: Though I see that MEC doesn't have them anymore.

It's because BD replaced them with the Cyborgs: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619860&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691671&bmUID=1165593111960
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Return to Gear