rope wanted

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

rope wanted

Postby new to NB » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:38 am

does any one have a DRY rope that has some life left in it that they want to get ride off. I might possibly be intrested in a half as well ......

let me know what is out there?.
new to NB

Postby mathieu » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 pm

I've got an old rope in my garage, its in decent shape, 15$. I might have to dust off the asbestos from it but it should do.

Seriously you shouldn't cheap out on a rope, just spend the 200$ and get a new one. Its the only thing keeping you from letting gravity win.
mathieu

Postby cory » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:32 pm

"you shouldn't cheap out on a rope, just spend the 200$ and get a new one. Its the only thing keeping you from letting gravity win."....seriously, dude, Mathieu's right.

You wouldn't buy used dental floss, would you? Cause I've got some if you're interested. :wink:
cory

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Keep and eye on the sale, got my rope last year from MEC. There was a Mammut one on Steep and Cheap a couple of weeks ago, and I heard rummors of another just being up there yesterday (only up briefly....I never even saw it up).

Personally I'd never buy a used rope from some random shmoe on the internet. First, things can be done to soft goods that you'd never really be able to tell once its all cleaned up. Then, it is one of the few parts of your system that isn't redundent so you can't afford it to fail.

But if you're still keen on it start checking out E-Bay and the bigger rock climbing sites, even the MEC gear swap. I think I was a rope up on the classifides of Rockclimbing.com yesterday.
granite_grrl

lol

Postby new to NB » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:59 pm

I was not looking for a rope for climbing!!!!!! lol you think I am nuts I was looking for a rope to cut up to teach some classes at work. As well a teach how to coil , without my ropes beeing runied but thanks any for all the GREAT advise guys......

:lol: :lol: :shock:
new to NB

Re: lol

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:33 pm

new to NB wrote:I was not looking for a rope for climbing!!!!!! lol you think I am nuts I was looking for a rope to cut up to teach some classes at work. As well a teach how to coil , without my ropes beeing runied but thanks any for all the GREAT advise guys......

:lol: :lol: :shock:

I don't understand why you asked for a dry rope. I'm sure it would be pretty easy and cheap to get some retired ropes, though.
granite_grrl

Postby dcentral » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:07 am

it was a 9.2 mammut. it has been up before. It wasn't that great of deal after shipping and conversion.

They did have $10 crapons yesterday that only lasted a minute before they sold out.
dcentral

why dry?

Postby new to NB » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:18 am

I was looking for a dry rope cause it gonna taker a pounding out side on hte ranges in the back of trucks so i just thought a dry would suit better...

I do however find this funny that some people seam so upset that I asked about this. and the vast amount of advise I have recived . I was just looking for a old rope to cut up, yes i ddid forget to say that befor how ever I was assumeing that woulkd be assumed by all the knowlegeble people out here!

but as always assume makes an ASS out of U and ME.[quote][/quote]
new to NB

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:03 am

The drycoating on a old rope would likely be worn off.

Even if you are just using it to teach knots a plastic tote might not be a bad idea to keep it dry and relativly clean if it in the back of your truck.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby betaburgler » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:13 pm

I do however find this funny that some people seam so upset that I asked about this. and the vast amount of advise I have recived .

Well you posted on a climbing site for used rope so I'm not surprised that you got all the attention you did. I also don't think it's funny, I think its great that everyone came together and warned you off of used rope for climbing. Considering where you posted, and your lack of information, people reacted the way you as a climber should hope they would react. The knowledgeable people here did exactly what we could all hope them to do... share climbing knowledge with others.
Nathan Benjamin
betaburgler

Postby cory » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Oohhhh...I get it. You never know what to expect from people who are new to the province. :P

If you still want one, I've got on old one that's not very abbraided. It retired cause it was old, but it's still supple, and quite clean. It should suit your needs nicely. It's a 10.5, 50m, non-dry. Make me an offer.

Cory
cory

thanks

Postby new to NB » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:54 pm

I was not trying to be rude at all I was very happy to see all of you come toghter on this, as you are right I should have been more direct...

AND YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT BEEING NEW TO NB I MUST HAVE BEEN CRAZY TO LEAVE BANFF AFTER 22 YERAS TO COME HERE HOW EVER I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAHNKS GUY KEEP ALL THE GOOD INFO COMMING
new to NB

Return to Gear