Trango Cinch

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Trango Cinch

Postby mathieu » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:39 pm

I was just reading the post on ropes and saw that someone mentionned the trango cinch. I handled one at the climbing wall the other week (stop laughing Cara) . Anyways my thougths at the time was that I would wait a year or two before investing, just so that they get the kinks out of the device. The penned pin that rotates the handle seemed as thought the sharp parts would rub against the rope. Minor but just seems to be shawdy craftsmenship. We had noticed something else but I forget now.
mathieu

Postby martha » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:59 pm

That is good to know Mat. I have been reading about the 'cinch' and have heard good things. But I haven't handled one much like yourself. Good to see you are getting that first hand climbing knowledge at the best learning environment possible.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

laughing ..with you....with you...
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Re: Trango Cinch

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:32 am

mathieu wrote:shawdy

Shoddy.

Dictionary Police are On Duty. Roger.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:15 am

What I remeber being said about the cinch was that it could be hard to control. It was either totally locked off, or open, much harder to control than a grigri.

But I've never handled one myself, so I may just be spreading rumors....

Rebecca
granite_grrl

shaddy rumurs

Postby mathieu » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:14 pm

Actually that's the other thing I couldn't remember, you can actually lock it open if you jimmy the handle in a sort of way where it basically is cammed against the body.

Shaddy design in my humble opinion.

schFUcking word police always keeping the french man down. As Jeff would say "SchFucking white people..."
mathieu

Postby Fred » Mon May 16, 2005 6:49 pm

Well we've now had a cinch for a while and we've used it extensively while toproping, leading and belaying up a second. My overall impression is... I like it better than my Gri-gri. I find it way lighter, racks nicer, easy to operate, smoother but way more importantly... I feel way more confident in its autolocking abilities on smaller ropes. The reason is because the parts that 'squish' down on the rope to cam the device are flat instead of rounded so it works the same for any diameter rope that fits in the device.

two thumbs up

I recommend it to anyone over the gri-gri
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Brent » Tue May 17, 2005 6:56 am

Hey Matt, You know you have been climbing too long when you consider "sharp parts rubbing against your rope" as a minor nuisance.
Brent

Postby Fred » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:51 pm

I changed my brain. I don't recommend the Cinch over the gri-gri anymore. We discovered that the Trango Cinch, although it has great caming action and feeding, coils the rope. And I don't mean just a little bit.

It would be nice if Petzel developed a grino-grino like they did with the reverso to a reversino
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:12 pm

Just to make this post relevant to anything, here'san interesting article. Which reminds me, I really need to get cracking on that carpet i've been meaning to start 2 years ago.

Brent wrote:Hey Matt, You know you have been climbing too long when you consider "sharp parts rubbing against your rope" as a minor nuisance.

Haven't you heard Brent, I'm now more of an armchair climber and gear oar, this damn job isn't condusive in getting lots of climbing in. I mean i've only cragged climbed once this year but it was in Skaha for 5 days. Its all quality for me now as opposed to quantity.

When are you coming back around these parts to do True Grit? Me and Jon Large were gonna give it a go a few days ago but its been pissing rain for over a week. Hopefully it clears up so I can get another day of climbing in before heading back to work.

Oh and back to the Trango cinch, does the GriGri coil the rope also?
mathieu

Postby dcentral » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:10 pm

You should tell Jon Large to send me an email when he gets a chance.

Sometimes I think communicating with him by carrier slug might be faster.
dcentral

Postby martha » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:07 pm

dcentral wrote:You should tell Jon Large to send me an email when he gets a chance.

Sometimes I think communicating with him by carrier slug might be faster.

Ha! You've noticed eh?

I think Jon's email is broken. it seems to have a 'receive' button, but no 'send' button!

I got an email from him a while ago, but i had likely sent 5 before that!

I have his phone number if you want it though.

c
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:12 pm

mathieu wrote:Oh and back to the Trango cinch, does the GriGri coil the rope also?

No it doesn't. The night I made the discovery I had both on my rack. I led one route and finished at a tree and the rope was badly coiled. We then did a route 5ft right and finished at the same tree. I used the exact same set-up and rope and the rope did not coild using the grigri.

I noticed lately I was having problems with coiled ropes. At first I thought it was my rope but then I realized it was happening on every rope I touched. Turns out it was the cinche. It's a great device and works quite nicely but unless they can find out how not to coil the rope I think it's useless.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:04 am

Is that his Cell phone? I have that one. I just like how you get an email out of the blue and that's it for months.

Under heavy usage I've seen a gri gri do some funky things to ropes. But this is under daily top rope use.
dcentral

Return to Gear