Camp Nanowire

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Camp Nanowire

Postby Fred » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:22 pm

has anyone seen or used the Camp Nanowires? I'm looking to replace my biners on my cams with lightweight. I almost always extend with quickdraw so smaller gate opening is not as much of a concern.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:12 pm

I use a Nanowire to carry the nut tool :) Nice and solid biner, size about 3/4 of BD Positron. I would rather think about mid-size pieces like Helium or Shield.

..well, just stop by and have a look
Stan

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:17 pm

I don't have any but my friend has a few. I haven't used them a whole lot but I think they are a little small. I have been accused of having paddle hands though.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:30 am

those look like nice biners. Many of the small lightweight biners have that narrow little bottom that anythin but those little ultra skiny slings sit nicely in. I would totally consider these.

Right now I use BD nuetrinos to rack all my cams. I don't know if I notice much weight savings, but I love how they reduce bulk.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:14 am

Ditto for racking cams on Neutrinos.

I should add that it really isn't the small gate openings that hose me, but rather just small shapes that are just hard to hold onto. The Neutrino is about as small as I'd want to go. I've already had one slip between my fingers and fall into the abyss.

BD does have a new biner called the "OZ" which is supposed to be the lightest full-service biner. http://www.bdel.com/gear/oz.php
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:15 am

what I really want are the Heliums but I'm too cheap to spend that extra coin for racking cams where I'll hardly ever clip a rope through them.

The Camp's appear to be lighter even than the Heliums. However, I read a review on RC.com that seemed to debate the true weight of these biners.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Again, the Heliums will work great if you have tiny little sling to use with them, but I don't like how my current shoulder length runners or cam slings sit in them.

The Camps still look better to me. If you're undecided can you try picking up a couple different biners and try racking with them. Or are you ordering them and want to avoid being killed on shipping?
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:22 pm

granite_grrl wrote:Again, the Heliums will work great if you have tiny little sling to use with them, but I don't like how my current shoulder length runners or cam slings sit in them.

gotcha! I missed that the first time around. thx :)

granite_grrl wrote:The Camps still look better to me. If you're undecided can you try picking up a couple different biners and try racking with them. Or are you ordering them and want to avoid being killed on shipping?

yeah I'd be mail ordering. We don't have shops near by. I will take Stan up on his offer though and go check out the Camp wires.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:13 pm

I like my Chouinard biners. Thems a man's biner!
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:44 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:I like my Chouinard biners. Thems a man's biner!

Round stock ovals?
chossmonkey

Postby mathieu » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:15 pm

chossmonkey wrote:

Round stock ovals?

Not quite the Chouinard but my BD oval still make it out everytime.
mathieu

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:43 pm

chossmonkey wrote:

Round stock ovals?

Mine would be D's
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:

Round stock ovals?

Mine would be D's

I thought you said they were a man's biner? :roll:

Actually, when I was out at Devils Tower last summer I swiped all the wire gates I wasn't using off of other stuff and got rid of the solid gate biners I was carrying. I think it made a difference. It might have been all in my head, but hey, I'll take what I can get. That was a hella lot of biners I was carrying too.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:00 pm

in my opinion, and I haven't ran numbers to verify this, I think you could easily shave 30% off the weight of the gear on your belt if you switch to the lightest wires, skinny (dental floss) slings and minimize/optimize your nuts

yeah yeah I know you could lose 5lbs for cheaper too. The thing I like about climbing with as little gear as possible is the comfort. You know that feeling of leading up a long pitch with a single 9.8 instead of an old beat up 10.5... It's kinda like that. A mess of gear on your belt gets in the way of your flow of climbing.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Shawn B » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Fred, switch to the Can Tire keychain biners if you never clip a rope through them. It would be worth the looks you got at the crag. I personally don't like the smaller biners. Esp if you are thinking about using them in winter at all. I have all hotwires and love them. The neutrinos are ok to clip in summer but I find they are a pain to clean. And assuming you are carrying a rack of 15 cams, 17 grams/biner is about 1/2 of a pound. Not worth it to me to have to deal with a smaller fidly biner.
Shawn B

Postby martha » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:30 pm

Shawn B wrote:Fred, switch to the Can Tire keychain biners if you never clip a rope through them. It would be worth the looks you got at the crag. .

this would be priceless wouldn't it? :)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to Gear