I want to get a new approach/hiking shoe *help*

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

I want to get a new approach/hiking shoe *help*

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm calling upon the vast experience in the community to help me make a good choice for a new pair of approach/day hiking shoe.

I am looking for somthing fairly light, but have a good amount of toe and midsole support. Toes, esp. since my left big toe is a problem *hurts anytime I bend it for years*. My current two pair of shoes - Prospector leather boots and Garmont integras are wearing out. I normally use the Garmont's to hike up whatever trail or boulder field seperating me from the cliffs. I also will want to use them to go strickly hiking for a few hours at a time with a pack.

Any thoughts, tips, pointers, product suggestions and what to watch out for or steer clear of?

Price range (canadian) 100-200$
Andrew

Re: I want to get a new approach/hiking shoe *help*

Postby Anonymous » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Andrew wrote:*hurts anytime I bend it for years*.

try not to bend it for such long a time.
Anonymous

Postby dcentral » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:20 pm

I had a pair of La Sportiva trailrunning shoes for awhile. They were so comfortable. I used them for light hiking, etc. they were probably my favorite shoe I've had in the last few years. I don't think they make that exact model anymore. At least I couldn't find it on their site but I would definitely buy another pair of La SPortiva shoes.

For hiking boots. I just had a paid of Raichle's but all the gromets decided to start popping off so I took them back to mec and bought a pair of these instead.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442422979&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733589&bmUID=1175112909515

They are great. They are little more robust then the day hiking boots but they are a lot lighter then my old ones which was surprising. Totally worth the extra money and for being on the coast it's nice that they are gortex as well. I use them on all my search and rescue call outs, even the ones where we are in the city.

I hope that helps.

Oh I had a pair of Asolo approach type shoes not too long ago (they were on sale for a really good deal) I wouldn't buy those ones again they weren't very comfortable and didn't last that long -- I won't buy asolo again. I mainly use they for cycling in bad weather since I don't care if they get ruined.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 pm

adam wrote:

OMG that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:19 am

I'm laughing now as I re-read that.

I wish I was able to edit my posts :)

Andrew

Fred wrote:
adam wrote:

OMG that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
Andrew

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:21 am

dcentral wrote:I had a pair of La Sportiva trailrunning shoes for awhile. They were so comfortable. I used them for light hiking, etc. they were probably my favorite shoe I've had in the last few years.

I will argue with the use of trail runners for approch shoes. I bought a pair of Salomans a few years ago thinking how nice and light they'd be, should have lots of cushion because they're for running after all. Well, the sole of them are just to damn thin and flexible. You get on a rocky trail and you'll feel every rock on there. A hiking shoe should be fairly sturdy, and these just wern't sturdy enough. I will never get a pair of trail runners for approch shose again!

I have a pair of Saloman full leather hiking boots that I simply love but they get so darn hot come summer. But I think I actually did use these boots in the summer when I lived in NS and didn't find it too bad (it is a lot warmer here in Ontario in the summer than in NS), but I'd still want something lighter and cooler for the height of summer even back in NS.

I found a pair of North Face approch shoes on sale at EMS last year. The style designed for light climbing. Haven't worn them enough yet to really comment.

And I know that Nathan will kick my ass when I say this, but I still love my Chacos. The sole is sturdy, my foot doesn't roll around much, and the sole has decent grip (better than my trail runners and hiking boots at least). Of course, they're still sandles, and I will concede that if a big rock fell on my foot my toes could easily be broken.......but I still love them!
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:48 am

i'm all over flip flops or Teva's in the summer for approach. ha.

however, I have a pair of Asolo hiking boots that I love. I"m on my second pair of them. There are some nice Merrel approach shoes as well. For a short (3-4 hour) hike, even with a pack, approach shoes would be plenty of support.

If you are having fit issues, I really reccomend going somewhere to get some help fitting boots. Talk to the experts and different things work for different people. There are many different ways to lace up your shoes/boots as well that can change how they feel.

If you want next time I see you I can take a look (since I used to fit feet professionally).

Cheers

...yes and bending you toe for years at a time could be very painful.... lol :lol:
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Shawn B » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:05 am

Au contraire...trail runners for sure unless you are looking for an approach shoe you can also climb in (ie. Sportiva B5, Guide Tennies). But for average hiking and walking to the crag for climbing, trail runners are the way to go. They give you much more stability and protection than sandals. There are good ones that have rock protection in the sole. Traction is usually very good and they are light and breathable, unlike hiking boots. I have no use for hiking boots. I use nothing but trail runners anymore for everything from . The only downside of trail runners is that if you are doing a long route and hiking down they are a more bulky to carry with you than sandals while you climb.

Andrew, depending on your foot size, I have some trail runners that are new and now too small for me. If you want to try them on, I'll give you a good deal. One size 10 and one 10.5. Both Montrail.
Shawn B

Postby Anonymous » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:14 am

granite_grrl wrote: I will argue with the use of trail runners for approch shoes. I bought a pair of Salomans a few years ago thinking how nice and light they'd be, should have lots of cushion because they're for running after all. Well, the sole of them are just to damn thin and flexible. You get on a rocky trail and you'll feel every rock on there. A hiking shoe should be fairly sturdy, and these just wern't sturdy enough. I will never get a pair of trail runners for approch shose again!

i use solomon trail runners and love em... nice and light, and i don't find the soles too thin. but maybe different models have differing sole thicknesses...

depends on what you're approaching. a long 4 hour approach might warrant hiking boots for the extra support. if you're just approaching welsford? well i think your regular sneakers should be sufficient... to each their own.
Anonymous

Postby mathieu » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:41 am

The only use I get of my old hiking boots is spring or fall in the mountains when there is still snow or really muddy trail. Every thing else is trail runner or approach shoes. I really like the Garmonts Niegvie (?) i'm on my 4th pair. The 5.10 Guides are great, you can climb low 5th with them. Keep in mind that the sole on a climbing approach shoe is relatively soft so you will wear them down if you wear them on pavement lots.
mathieu

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:39 am

adam wrote:
granite_grrl wrote: I will argue with the use of trail runners for approch shoes. I bought a pair of Salomans a few years ago thinking how nice and light they'd be, should have lots of cushion because they're for running after all. Well, the sole of them are just to damn thin and flexible. You get on a rocky trail and you'll feel every rock on there. A hiking shoe should be fairly sturdy, and these just wern't sturdy enough. I will never get a pair of trail runners for approch shose again!

i use solomon trail runners and love em... nice and light, and i don't find the soles too thin. but maybe different models have differing sole thicknesses...

depends on what you're approaching. a long 4 hour approach might warrant hiking boots for the extra support. if you're just approaching welsford? well i think your regular sneakers should be sufficient... to each their own.

I think that the place I really noticed the lack of support was on the approches at Red Rocks. Fairly simple hikes in, fairly compact dirt, lots of medium sized rocks.....I could feel every one of those damn rocks.

But different strokes for different folks. I think there are plenty of light weight approch shoes out there, you don't need full fledge hiking boots. I particularly like the idea of the climbing style approch shoes (like the 5.10s and hopefully the the North Face ones I bought last year).
granite_grrl

Postby Anonymous » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:48 pm

granite_grrl wrote:I think that the place I really noticed the lack of support was on the approches at Red Rocks.

i wore mine in red rocks earlier this month... you just need tougher feet :P or steel soled boots hehe
Anonymous

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:02 pm

adam wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:I think that the place I really noticed the lack of support was on the approches at Red Rocks.

i wore mine in red rocks earlier this month... you just need tougher feet :P or steel soled boots hehe

Actually found my Tevas at the time were often better. Maybe its just the particular model of trail runners I have. Regadless, I'm not in the market for a new pair of shoes, so I don't have to worry about it. :P
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:30 pm

And to think, all this time I wanted to try some trail runners but I wasn't allowed because they supposedly sucked. :?

Truthfully, I really like real approach shoes with sticky rubber best. My last pair of 5.10's wore out pittifully quick though. The first two pairs I had lasted a long time, but were a bit heavier and didn't climb quite as well.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:34 pm

My biggest issue with the 5.10 approach shoes is the skanky stanky funky stench they get after use.

I've never had a pair...but known some who have!

I tend to wear my hiking boots in the fall/spring much like Mat, when it is muddy etc and don't want wet feet. Otherwise in the summer, on a short hike to welsford, sandals are it. On a longer approach, I might wear a trail runner or approach shoe. it depends ...

.....on what matches my outfit.....

kidding!

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:57 pm

martha wrote:My biggest issue with the 5.10 approach shoes is the skanky stanky funky stench they get after use.

I've never had a pair...but known some who have!

Perhaps it was their feet and not the shoes?

Mine smell just fine. I do normally change my socks daily. :wink:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Scooter » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:21 pm

I have heard good things about the 5.10 tennies, but have never tried them myself.

I have a pair of Salomons myself, and they work pretty well except for when really wet and trying to walk to just rock surface.

I have always been curious about some of the approach shoes La Sportiva has been putting out, and as soon as my Salomons wear out that's where I will be looking.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby ben smith » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:30 pm

had a pair of sportiva trail runners- exums? maybe I don't know. they were the flowers, could boulder up to v5/v6 as long as it wasn't miniscule feet, run, and hike witha pack no problem- the only badthing was that they were not water proof at all- bad for wet approachs. so so good- favorite shoes ever
ben smith

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:43 am

Scooter wrote:I have heard good things about the 5.10 tennies, but have never tried them myself.

ben smith wrote: the only badthing was that they were not water proof at all- bad for wet approachs. so so good- favorite shoes ever

5.10 makes a lot of different shoes. My last/current pair are the Mountain Masters (disc). I haven't ever tried the guide tennies.

I had two pairs of heavier 5.10 shoes before. They were waterproof until they got really old and started coming apart. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking for a waterproof shoe they will be a bit heavier than a non-waterproof.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:13 am

chossmonkey wrote:I could be wrong, but I'm thinking for a waterproof shoe they will be a bit heavier than a non-waterproof.

I think the biggest thing is that a non waterproof shoe generally breaths better. They have more ventalation, and no membrane in the way. Even my leathers arn't 100% water proof after all the nik-wax I've put on 'em over the years (but still fine as long as you don't stay standing in a puddle), but they also don't breath very well.
granite_grrl

Postby Graham » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:48 am

My biggest issue with the 5.10 approach shoes is the skanky stanky funky stench they get after use.

Use baby powder. My shoes often end up with some pretty horrible smells, approach shoe or not, but a liberal amount of baby powder in the evening will often leave them relatively non-stinkified the next morning.
Graham

Postby martha » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:54 am

Graham wrote:

Use baby powder. My shoes often end up with some pretty horrible smells, approach shoe or not, but a liberal amount of baby powder in the evening will often leave them relatively non-stinkified the next morning.

They aren't my shoes!!! My climbing shoes reek..but fortunately my approach shoes don't. :)

Baking soda or corn starch might work better as it absorbs moisture and stink and wouldn't leave as much of a paste as baby powder. :)

martha

Postby szymiec » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:06 pm

the 'new' version of the La Sportiva B5 is pretty good. I wore them all over the place and they were great. I actually used them any place there was no snow on the routes, even up to 6000M.

The soles wear out quite quickly due to the soft rubber and they are really hard to get into when they are frozen solid. This is due to the tight toe box.

yea yeah!
Chris
szymiec

Postby Zamboni » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:07 pm

I use these as my every day shoe's. Not much ankle support, but good sticky rubber. Although some of the threads started to pull out right away.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 5375126681

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby Stan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:11 pm

Shoes from La Sportiva, Lowa, and Merrell served me well.
BTW, there's pair of shoes that need a new home: NIB Raichle Dayton, US men 10.5, leather inside. Women's version here: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0,72455_.html
Stan

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:05 pm

I moved a few posts that were off topic into General. I'm not normally opposed to a good hijack, but lets keep this one on the topic of shoes. :wink:
chossmonkey

Postby Adam » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:58 am

Anonymous wrote:

i take it back, after this weekend i noticed that i do feel all the rocks under my feet. i must just like that feeling because i get better friction that way. so they're not for everyone i guess. depends on preference.
Adam

Return to Gear