Mad Rock Velcro Sucks

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Mad Rock Velcro Sucks

Postby jeremy benjamin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 am

I have owned multiple different pairs of Mad Rock velcro shoes. 2 pairs of Mugens, a pair of Flashed, and a pair of Hooker EZ. The velcro is always the first to go on these shoes. It looses it's stick and the straps start popping open when you are climbing. Has anyone else experienced this? So the obvious solution is to stop buying Mad Rock velcro shoes, but I like velcro shoes, and Mad Rocks are cheap, and so am I. Also I like everything else about the Mad Rock shoes. So I recently re-velcroed the Hooker's, (yeah Conan take that sentence out of context). I bought Velcro brand velcro from Wal-Mart for 3 bucks or something. The first strap I fixed I stripped all the old velcro off and sewed on the new hooks and loops which was a big job for one strap. While doing this though the other straps old hooks were sticking to the new loops, so for the rest of the straps I just sewed a new fluffy loop strip over the old not so fluffy loop strip. The straps all hold awesome, and I am stoked. You need a thimble and a strong needle, I broke 4 of them doing this. It is a bit time consuming, but like I mentioned I am cheap and now I can rock these shoes till the rubber goes.
jeremy benjamin

Postby *Chris* » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:25 am

Yep... the velcro sucks... my Mad Rock cheapie velcro lasted about a month (or 1 outdoor trip... whatever comes first). The rubber is awesome while it lasts but that isn't much longer than the straps.

Bottom line... you get what you pay for.
*Chris*

Postby Zamboni » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Well if you have a hard time sticking to the same cheep hooker. I'd suggest going to a more expensive one, and session longer!

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby martha » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:19 pm

in the future.. a shoe repair place probably could have sewn the velcro on with their industrial machine for about 5$.

Cheers.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:54 am

Yup, they are sure cheap. Like others have said, you get what you pay for.

You want a real deal? Buy shoes second hand, you have no idea how many people buys shoes like the Anasazi Velcro's too small and then sell them off for $60-80, virtually new. There are killer deals out there, just not always in the stores.
granite_grrl

Return to Gear