Metolious Master Cams

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Metolious Master Cams

Postby *Chris* » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:07 pm

For those interested, RC.com has a report on Metolious's new alien-inspired cam design!
1116-large_image2a.jpg
1116-large_image2a.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
*Chris*

Re: Metolious Master Cams

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:48 pm

I <3 Metolius. :D

Say hello to the Master Cam, Metolius’ new single stem cam. First a couple of answers to the folks asking: The lobes are made of 7075 aluminum, they are the same sizes as Metolius TCU’s and Power Cams, and as a result have the same cam angle. They are available in sizes #00-#6, and are narrower (or at least look) than Aliens.

They have a milled aluminum trigger assembly held together with two thin steel cables (see the center pictures) rather than the metal sheath that the Aliens have. Don’t despair, though, they still flex really well, especially in vertical placements. Flush ends, Kevlar trigger cord, and a molded thumb grip finish them off. Expect to see some changes before they hit the stores in the Spring of next year. They retail at $54.95, except the two largest sizes, which retail at $59.95.

I have TCUs from about 4 years ago. I covet the ultalights, but now these new cams look damn sexy.

Will Rebecca eventually break and buy a new set of small cams in the coming years? Only time will tell.
granite_grrl

Re: Metolious Master Cams

Postby Makwizard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:28 am

I am currently conducting research at Duke University to analyze and redesign cam lobes. The end goal is to improve a cam's ability to hold in soft rock and flaring cracks. I have just begun my research but will be continually posting updates of my findings on my cam research page.

Thanks.
Check out my homepage
Makwizard

Return to Gear