Petzl Zephyr 10.3

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Petzl Zephyr 10.3

Postby Murph » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:22 pm

If you are climbing on a Petzl rope you should keep an eye on it.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1789076;page=unread#unread

I was considering the Zephyr for my next rope but I think I’ll choose something else…
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Re: Petzl Zephyr 10.3

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:31 pm

I used my friend's Nomad all last season and I really liked it. I also thought it wore well. There have been a lot of reports about problem with the Zephyr sheaths and I'm wonding how wide spread it is. I'm hoping Petzl will address this soon.
granite_grrl

Postby szymiec » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:22 pm

I've been using the Dragonfly ropes this season for ice and alpine. Not impressed at all. 1, i hate the colors. 2, The dry treatment is next to useless. 3, the ropes are stiff and dont knot well at all.

I have not used them on rock routes extensively, only a few times, but i have to go back to the mammuts. I plan on using the old "this product does not meet my expectations" line at MEC.

Chris
szymiec

Postby szymiec » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:50 pm

pretty much every type of frozen rope you can imagine. And all in a single pitch! Dats dem Petzles.

C
Attachments
ropes.jpg
ropes.jpg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
szymiec

Postby new to NB » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Petzl ropes ROCK! (We actually left them outside for a whole week and they never froze!) QUOTE BY by Louis-Philippe Ménard

NEICE.COM ( From his trip to NL over X-mass)

some people have different out comes with the same kit
( not at all saying that you all are wrong about these ropes I just thout it was a point to ponder)

I can't add the image but if you go here you can see.....

http://www.neice.com/Articles/Newfoundl ... ndland.htm

[img][/img]
new to NB

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:28 am

Yep that's weird. I used the dragonfly quite a bit early season and I was wicked impressed with the dry-treatment/hand/colours. Im running a Nomad 9.8 right now and it's working beatifully.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby szymiec » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 pm

new to NB wrote:Petzl ropes ROCK! (We actually left them outside for a whole week and they never froze!) QUOTE BY by Louis-Philippe Ménard

Hmm, well we were climbing for about 20 minutes before the above photo was taken. The pitch was somewhat wet, as the name "Meltout" implies but they definitely got soaked to the core. This was confirmed the next day when we used the same wet ropes for another climb. Frozen solid right from the start. Sure it was -15 out, sure we couldn't dry the ropes and sure the ice was wet. Thats why we were using dry treaded ropes. Boing!
szymiec

Postby Fred » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:39 pm

szymiec:

you used them on rock. That's why they froze up. If you want dedicated dry ropes they must never touch the stone.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby szymiec » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 pm

I agree but the closest this set of ropes has ever come to rock is illustrated in the attached photo. We did some sport climbing last summer with another set, from another friend, who feels the same way about these babies.

C
Attachments
ugly_baby_FA.jpg
1st pitch on the 1st ascent of Ugly Baby 185M III, WI3+R, M7. Jasper Alberta. Chris Szymiec & Joss Kass
ugly_baby_FA.jpg (188.7 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
szymiec

Postby STeveA » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:59 am

I have to say that this is a no brainer for me. 30' out from my last piece of pro, the last thing I need is a little nagging doubt about my rope. I like Petzl gear, but there are lots of ropes out there. I do not need to buy a Zephyr to show my support for the company, and it is cetainly not the only good rope on the market. Whether it is good or not is not the issue for me; I will simply buy a different rope.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby The Mitt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:10 am

STeveA wrote:I have to say that this is a no brainer for me. 30' out from my last piece of pro, the last thing I need is a little nagging doubt about my rope. I like Petzl gear, but there are lots of ropes out there. I do not need to buy a Zephyr to show my support for the company, and it is cetainly not the only good rope on the market. Whether it is good or not is not the issue for me; I will simply buy a different rope.

I don't think there is sounder advice out there.
The Mitt

Return to Gear