ATC Sport????

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

ATC Sport????

Postby Murph » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:09 am

What's your take on this...lol????
http://www.bdel.com/gear/atc_sport.php
Attachments
atc-sport.JPG
atc-sport.JPG (9.16 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Re: ATC Sport????

Postby *Chris* » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 am

Useless.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:49 am

get a guide or a reverso. both have autolocking capabilities.

a basic atc is fine but you're going to want more options eventually (or maybe you won't).
Adam

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:58 am

Seems a little silly.

Who climbs with a belay device if they aren't going to rappel? Granted you could rappel with it, but the set up and extra gear you would need would negate any weigh savings. Maybe they are looking to cash in on the people looking for cheepo belay devises?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Murph » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:03 am

chossmonkey wrote:Seems a little silly.

Who climbs with a belay device if they aren't going to rappel? Granted you could rappel with it, but the set up and extra gear you would need would negate any weight savings. Maybe they are looking to cash in on the people looking for cheepo belay devises?

It weights more than a standard ATC.... :roll:
Murph

Postby STeveA » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:17 am

From what I have seen in sport climbing areas people use a single rope and lower off. This is probably a good idea for that scenerio, but not so good for the rest of us.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:14 am

That thing is silly. If you're lowering off at the anchors something like a Grigri is much nicer to belay a hang dogging sport climber with. If you need a tube style device to rappel with then that thing will be useless.

I saw that thing a while ago, what's the advantage? I guess its not much lighter, is it much cheaper than a regular ATC?
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:16 am

Added weight for a useless piece of gear.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:05 am

Does anyone else use the BD Guide? I got one late last season and had a chance to use it a couple times in Spain for top belay in auto-locking set-up.... Man was it ever hard to pull the rope through. I had a fuzzy 9.8 so I can't imagine trying to do the same with a well travelled 10.5. Anyone else experience similar?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Murph » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:04 am

I don’t own an ATC-Guide nor have I used one but apparently if you add a second biner in auto-block mode it makes it easier to feed.
Murph

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Fred wrote:Does anyone else use the BD Guide? I got one late last season and had a chance to use it a couple times in Spain for top belay in auto-locking set-up.... Man was it ever hard to pull the rope through. I had a fuzzy 9.8 so I can't imagine trying to do the same with a well travelled 10.5. Anyone else experience similar?
We have Guides, occasionally it is hard to pull but I still prefer it over the Reverso.

I'm still not seeing the advantage of the single barrel belay device unless they are trying to cash in on the buy the cheapest thing mentality. I would think they could make it a lot cheaper and lighter if they were doing that though.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Holly Reid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Fred wrote:Does anyone else use the BD Guide? I got one late last season and had a chance to use it a couple times in Spain for top belay in auto-locking set-up.... Man was it ever hard to pull the rope through. I had a fuzzy 9.8 so I can't imagine trying to do the same with a well travelled 10.5. Anyone else experience similar?

I've got one Fred, but have yet to try it in all its configurations.... as you may remember from the Sunnyside belay. :P
Holly Reid

Postby Murph » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Holly Reid wrote:
I've got one Fred, but have yet to try it in all its configurations.... as you may remember from the Sunnyside belay. :P

Holly: “Teeth or no teeth”…. Cory: “Actually I’d prefer a belay device”...lol
Murph

Postby *Chris* » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:17 pm

Yes Fred,
I own it and used it fairly extensively last summer in auto-lock mode to bring up a second. I found it relatively easy to feed so long as you are feeding from the climber's strand while taking in on the brake strand. My rope is a 10mm but the sheath is in pretty good shape. I found it no more difficult than using a gri-gri for the same task. Overall, I really like the guide. My only complaint is the small loop for releasing it under tension. It's a bit cumbersome to tease a skinny sling through. But, that's not an issue anymore since I learned the nifty nut-tool trick.
*Chris*

Postby Holly Reid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Murph wrote:Holly: “Teeth or no teeth”…. Cory: “Actually I’d prefer a belay device”...lol

hehehe.... forgot about that one ... gotta give people the option though... ;)
Holly Reid

Postby martha » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:36 pm

Holly Reid wrote:
Murph wrote:Holly: “Teeth or no teeth”…. Cory: “Actually I’d prefer a belay device”...lol

hehehe.... forgot about that one ... gotta give people the option though... ;)

My guess is that most guys will vote for the 'no teeth' option...

oh .. you mean on the belay device....
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Murph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:12 am

Murph

Return to Gear