Marking Gear

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Marking Gear

Postby Fox » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Hey all

Just starting to build up my rack and I know marking my gear is key to keeping it around. Just wondering if standard old coloured electrical tape from Canadian Tire does the trick? Or is it more benneficial to use some kind of specific gear tape? Just want to make sure I'm doing things right to keep my gear safe and lasting a long time.

Thanks

Fox
Fox

Re: Marking Gear

Postby martha » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:52 am

Never use Black tape to mark your gear as that is used to mark 'unsafe' gear. You can buy colored electrical tape or special tape from MEC. I think that the electrical tape is gooier/sticker than the stuff we get at MEC. but I'm not positive on that.

Check out your friends and climbing partners racks and try to use a color combo that they aren't using.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:33 am

I find that the tape does not last. I use nail polish it lasts longer.
The Mitt

Postby Fred » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 am

The Mitt wrote:I use nail polish it lasts longer.

you do eh?! hehe
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Mitt » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:25 pm

As soon as I wrote that I knew I would be getting a sarcastic comment. LOL
The Mitt

Postby martha » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:13 pm

The Mitt wrote:I find that the tape does not last. I use nail polish it lasts longer.

Do you use the quick dry and Anti chip stuff? :lol: :lol:

the tape lasts okay if you put it where the gear gets little wear agains the rope/rock. I usually get a couple of seasons out of it, though it is pretty mangled by the time I fix it.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby STeveA » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:24 am

A few climbers have used nail polish over the years so you might want to start another post about color coordination. It would be really embarrassing to show up at the cliff witht he same color polish! I think Joey has been known to use purple, but I may be mistaken.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Shawn B » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:19 am

I attach the fake glue on nails...then apply the nail polish to that and it lasts much longer. The only pain is when you chip one of the nails. On the other hand, it is nice to have extra nails to bite when you are run out and nervous. :)

But really...I just started using the coloured duct tape. Use a utility knife to cut it into narrow strips on the roll and you can get about 6 strips/width of duct tape...in other words it will last forever. Seems to be more durable than electrical tape although i haven't climbed with the newly marked gear yet.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 am

Shawn B wrote:But really...I just started using the coloured duct tape. Use a utility knife to cut it into narrow strips on the roll and you can get about 6 strips/width of duct tape...in other words it will last forever. Seems to be more durable than electrical tape although i haven't climbed with the newly marked gear yet.

I used purple electrical tape and duct tape for a while to mark my gear. Electrical tape eventually just gets kinda crusty and scrapes/chips off. Duct tape kinda scrapes/ozes off, leaving a lot more residue and making more of a mess.
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:20 pm

I engrave mine with three dimples using a 1/8" drill press. Is that ok?

this is a joke
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Mitt » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 pm

I know someone who used a file and scored 2 lines in the metal. Scarry SOB :)
The Mitt

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 pm

nail polish.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:43 pm

granite_grrl wrote:
Shawn B wrote:But really...I just started using the coloured duct tape. Use a utility knife to cut it into narrow strips on the roll and you can get about 6 strips/width of duct tape...in other words it will last forever. Seems to be more durable than electrical tape although i haven't climbed with the newly marked gear yet.

I used purple electrical tape and duct tape for a while to mark my gear. Electrical tape eventually just gets kinda crusty and scrapes/chips off. Duct tape kinda scrapes/ozes off, leaving a lot more residue and making more of a mess.

Duct tape also seems to get hung up on slings and feels bulkier too. And the goo it leaves when coming off just isn't worth it.

I find a roll of electrical tape lasts me a very long time even marking a mountain of gear. If you get good quality stuff it stays on pretty good unless it gets ground over the rock. Even then it normally stays on for quite a while.

Something else I have seen used is electrical shrink tape. It is very durable but can be tough to find in the color you are looking for and costs a lot more than electrical tape.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to Gear