Maxim rope recall, Apogee 9.1mm & 9.5 Pinnacle

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Maxim rope recall, Apogee 9.1mm & 9.5 Pinnacle

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:29 am

If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Re: Maxim rope recall, Apogee 9.1mm & 9.5 Pinnacle

Postby Adam » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:22 pm

ouch. that'll hurt reputation.
Adam

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:23 pm

I don't think any have actually broke yet. Or fallen apart for that matter.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:53 pm

yikes! That doesn't go well with what I already know happened to my Maxime Glider. Leaves a bit of "CCH Alien" confidence in the air.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby PeterA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:46 pm

Hey Fred, out of curiosity, what happened to your glider? Thats one of the ropes we use

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:51 pm

it got shredded on the lip of gumby in a single fall

no let me rephrase that... the sheath zippered open about 6ft long. Very weird sheath failure.

I loved the rope before that. It was one of the best I'd ever used. Still the best feeling rope IMO.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 am

Does Maxim make ropes for Petzl? :lol:

To keep things in perspective, most manufactures will have bad product and recalls at some point. How they deal with the bad product is what sets them all apart.
chossmonkey

Postby Burley » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 am

1. Aliens are awesome (apart from the falling apart). They fit in places nothing else will and I find the flex in the stem really reduces the walking. I've fallen on my yellow a couple times and it didn't kill me and I've aided with the others... still alive. I wish they gave you (and me) the confidence a BD does, but I'll still use them.

2. I read a report (so this could be wrong) and the only recorded modern rope failure was due to contact with an acid or base. Report was from from some guide association in Europe? Two occurances I think. Look where you put your rope - trunk of car or in pack with drill. No recorded faiures from a sharp edge. Again this may not be accurate. Hopefully Maxium doesn't help change this stat, but really... who falls over a sharp edge 5 times?
Burley

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:43 am

Burley wrote:
2. I read a report (so this could be wrong) and the only recorded modern rope failure was due to contact with an acid or base. Report was from from some guide association in Europe? Two occurances I think. Look where you put your rope - trunk of car or in pack with drill. No recorded faiures from a sharp edge. Again this may not be accurate. Hopefully Maxium doesn't help change this stat, but really... who falls over a sharp edge 5 times?

I think you are confusing ropes just breaking with ropes being cut. Ropes just breaking doesn't happen unless they are exposed to harsh chemicals. Ropes cutting while not frequent does happen. http://www.climbeasterncanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4518

Sheathing of ropes, like what happened to Fred's happens more often than most of us would like to know. Usually it happens when it gets loaded over a sharp edge. See "Testing a worn biner".
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:09 am

We've seen two ropes have their sheaths shread. In St. Andrews about 4 years ago I had to stop Fred on a lead and get him to lower off.. only once on the ground did I show him the 6 inch section of core hanging from the rope about 10M from the tie in point. It happened quickly, as we check our ropes every time we climb when we flake them into the bag. the shred on Gumby was pretty scary too.. one TR fall in that place and that was it. Yikes! Lovely rope though, except that part!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Burley » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:30 am

No, I'm not confused. As I stated... info could have been incorrect.

But seriously... if you're going to climb with gear like that biner (or maybe my Aliens) you deserve to be removed from the gene pool.

I think what I should have added was "deaths" caused by cutting or breaking of ropes in normal climbing conditions... that is to say the rope is totally severed and not by people clipping into razor blades.

The Dan O thing doesn't count in this one... that was nylon on nylon melting (I think).
Burley

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:45 am

Martha: the St-Andrews rope shred fiasco is our fault not the rope. It's like an old pair of jeans. Once the knee shows some fluffy fatigue, by the end of the day you have a gapping hole in your pants. We should have retired the rope before it got to that point.

The Maxime glider on gumby was spanking new however. If you saw the way the sheath shreaded you wouldn't say it's a comon shred. I know what they look like and this was not it. If you've held a Maxime glider rope before you'll know that it has a special weave. I'm convinced this led to a weak zipper effect.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:53 am

Fred wrote:The Maxime glider on gumby was spanking new however. If you saw the way the sheath shreaded you wouldn't say it's a comon shred. I know what they look like and this was not it. If you've held a Maxime glider rope before you'll know that it has a special weave. I'm convinced this led to a weak zipper effect.
Did you take it back?
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:27 am

Fred wrote:Martha: the St-Andrews rope shred fiasco is our fault not the rope. It's like an old pair of jeans. Once the knee shows some fluffy fatigue, by the end of the day you have a gapping hole in your pants. We should have retired the rope before it got to that point.

The Maxime glider on gumby was spanking new however. If you saw the way the sheath shreaded you wouldn't say it's a comon shred. I know what they look like and this was not it. If you've held a Maxime glider rope before you'll know that it has a special weave. I'm convinced this led to a weak zipper effect.

Yes, I know that the rope in St. andrews was worn, it went from 'fuzzy and fat' to shredded in an instant.... but the jeans analogy works well.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:55 am

can't say i'm impressed with how they're dealing with this recall, it being 'voluntary' and all. they should just replace all of em.

if you don't send yours back and it fails, who's fault is that? we're not supposed to be the experts on rope durability etc. they should not make it voluntary IMHO. not when peoples lives are at stake.
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 am

yep... I've had a new rope get cut... stuff happens.

...and correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't 'voluntary' refer to the fact that the manufacturer volenteered to recall their product, rather than being forced to? I don't think it has anything to do with whether the consumer chooses to act on it. Maybe I'm crazy... maybe I want to keep my "death rope... the rope that almost kills people".
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 pm

oh is that what it means?

i dunno. hohp your write. me smrt.
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:06 pm

I think your joke flew right over my head. oops.
*Chris*

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:22 am

Out of curiosity, those of you who have had core shots/sheath shreaded what were diameters of the ropes and what was the extent of the damage?

We were using one half of our double ropes a couple years ago as a tag line on Devils Tower. It was in use when rapped to clean a new line. Stupid I know to use that rope, they're not ment to take that kind of abuse. We ended up with a small core shot. The rope was a 8.4mm Bluewater Excellence.
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:13 pm

granite_grrl wrote:Out of curiosity, those of you who have had core shots/sheath shreaded what were diameters of the ropes and what was the extent of the damage?.
Mine was an Edelrid Skypilot 10.3 mm. The damage looked something like this:
Norfolk-Rope3small.jpg
Norfolk-Rope3small.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Martha: my point was that you brought apples to a discussion about oranges.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to Gear