ATC guide vs PETZL reverso 3

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

ATC guide vs PETZL reverso 3

Postby RopeBurnRandy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:07 am

Whats the better buy. vs weight and use ability. and more practical by craftsmanship. what do you use?
RopeBurnRandy

Re: ATC guide vs PETZL reverso 3

Postby RopeBurnRandy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:16 am

*fixed*
RopeBurnRandy

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:44 am

We use ACT guides, but we bought ours back when the Reverso wasn't very good. I'm not sure which would be better now.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:05 pm

I've heard the Reverso works better with overly fat ropes, but I was wondering today after a rappel with and ATC guide (which got pretty hot) how it would deal with heat dissipation. It has a much smaller profile that the Guide.
granite_grrl

Postby Stan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:17 pm

Reverso3 is much lighter. The slot dimensions are similar to those on ATC XP (I do not have ATC Guide). I don't think it would behave very well with anything more than 10.5 mm. The teeth seem to be designed to provide better grip on thin cords. It works nicely in the Reverso mode. The only thing I don't really like is the thin cable (like on the classic ATC). The sticker said the device was made in UK, and something tells me it's Wild Country breed.
Stan

Postby gwa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Hey,
I recently decided to buy an autoblocking belay device. From what I've seen first hand I chose the ATC Guide.

I believe there is a design flaw with the placement of the wire on the Petzl Reverso. I have seen two devices with the plastic coating worn off the wire from rappelling on the smooth side after one summer's use. The location of the reverso's wire and the fact that it is more flexible than the ATC Guide's wire allows it to be deformed and pinched by the ropes when rapping on the smooth side. This problem doesn't occur when rapping on the teeth side since the wire attaches farther back on the device.

My friends showed the devices to a Petzl Representative we met at Smith Rock. The Petzl Rep was surprised and could only suggest that from now on they should rapp on the teeth side.

Since thick ropes run better on the smooth side I prefer to have the option of which side I rapp with.

The ATC-Guide has worked beautifully for me whether I'm belaying from the ground or belaying the second. Sure its a bit chunky looking but it's bomber.
Graham
gwa

Return to Gear